Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jessica Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Re: Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jessica Azuka »

I think that the author used the life of Hiram McDowell to teach readers that, what a man sows, he reap. I am looking forward to reading this book to learn from it. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Most emotions we know are nicely depicted in the book "McDowell" by William H. Coles, which follows an egoistic surgeon Hiram, who repents for his egoistic behavior because it made him alone in-spite of having a family.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

A crime story with a tinge of human psychology is all I ask. I'm impressed by the book's description and I think I'm going to give it a try. The one question " What a human is capable of doing" got stuck in me. I really wish to read this book and find out. It was an elaborate and honest review. Thank you!
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
anthony iso
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anthony iso »

this review make sounds interesting to read the book i like the 'guilt and redemption' lines. The summary is pushing you to read the whole story of the book . i love it!
Abdullah Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Man by Jean-Michel Desire

Post by Abdullah Fawmi »

A crime story with many layers to the main character sounds interesting. The book sounds like a gripping tale with Hiram's pursuit of money and power to his changing ways. But it makes me wonder if he can really change after so long. The intricate familial relationships of Hiram and how his adult children are involved and effected by his life sounds intriguing.
Swift Dolphin
Currently Reading: Toussaint Louverture: A Revolutionary Life
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Swift Dolphin »

Thanks for the review.

When an author makes you feel for characters who are committing immoral acts, that's not always a good thing or a sign of good writing. Although obviously, it depends on whether we are talking about regular immorality versus crimes-against-humanity level immorality. It's not really clear from your review which it is. If it's just regular, normal immorality, sure, we all have some of that, and it's reasonably healthy to empathize with that. However, if an author makes you empathize too much with characters who commit crimes against humanity, pretty sure that's called propaganda. Especially if it's done by means of cutting the perspective of the victims out of the story.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 703
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“McDowell” by William H. Coles is a fictional story about guilt and redemption. Hiram McDowell was a very ambitious surgeon whose initial goals were making money and gaining power. This made many enemies, cost him friendships and negatively affected his family. He ran a medical foundation in Nepal which was perfect since he loved climbing mountains. He was widowed with children but one day met Carole, married and became a blended family. Hiram was a very narcissistic man intent on becoming president of the surgical college and would do anything to achieve that position. Carole stayed with him knowing that he slept with other women. It was easy to see that he was headed for disaster. The second half of the story focused on the dreadful consequences of his bad decisions. Can one find redemption after living a guilt-ridden life? How does one seek forgiveness and start over again?
RomanceBound T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romancebound-t.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by RomanceBound T »

This sounds like such an interesting read. A book having crime mystery and talkin' about human nature, I'd love to read this. The review is beautifully written with all the pros and cons that has me convinced to read it.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

"McDowell" by William H. Coles sounds like an excellent study in humanity and the varied emotions portrayed by different characters. The time passing lets the reader see growth and change in the protagonist and all the other characters.
Great review by the OLBC reviewer. Thank you!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 112%

Post by RJ Reviews »

The review is exceptionally well-written, thorough, and makes the readers interested in the book. The analysis of the central theme of the book by the reviewer is thoughtful and informative. Thank you.

This fictional story is all about complex human emotions and reactions. Oftentimes, poor choices lead to terrible consequences and everyone around us is impacted. This book will certainly make for an interesting read. Congrats on BOTD.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

Thank you for the great review. The review makes the book seem interesting enough to read. Your well written plot has captured my interest: the past deeds of McDowell are coming back to haunt him, and it is not just him that is involved, but his children as well. I love reading books in the CTMH genre, so I'll definitely make it a point to read this one as well.
Fatola Fatai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Fatola Fatai »

This thorough review makes me want to read the book this instant. Most especially since its content consists of crime related events. Thank you for the review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A fictional book which portrayed human connection, remore, and redemption. Feels like a realistic read as if I'm reading someone else's based on true story instead of as a work of fiction. Well done Cole!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Danny Woods 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danny Woods 1 »

The novel McDowell by William H. Coles. Hiram, the main character has a flirting attitude, despite being a surgeon, on that double crosses Micheal and does not pay attention to Carole his wife, despite his wild adventures, his son Billie is tempted by his half sister Tasha and he falls for it. Hiram is on the brink of being sanctioned for having knowledge about the mortality rate of the new organ suppressor drug. We hope Hiram changes. Nice novel.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Secrets of Shadow Lane by C. K. Harris

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

The review provided a comprehensive and well-crafted analysis. I particularly appreciated how it skillfully depicted a range of emotions within the context of fiction. The incorporation of mystery throughout, leading to a suspenseful conclusion, added an intriguing layer to the narrative. I eagerly anticipate immersing myself in the pages of the book based on this enticing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”