Official Review: Devil’s garden by Amir Barghi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Official Review: Devil’s garden by Amir Barghi

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devil’s garden" by Amir Barghi.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil’s Garden by Amir Barghi is a heartfelt tale of human struggle. Readers quickly learn that the main character is looking for happiness amongst wealth, idleness, and the beautiful lands of Seychelles, a country in East Africa. Yet, he is unable to find it. Why? Readers learn that the main character was part of the bloodshed and daily struggle that happened in Afghanistan during their Civil War. The main character also lived following the Cold War when the Soviet Union occupied Afghanistan. Even then, his family was wealthy for similarly macabre reasons. The main character was involved in the exchange of drugs and weapons. All these years later and distancing himself by moving to Seychelles, he still feels remorse.

In all honesty, I could not find much that I liked about this book. The PDF version that I received did not appear to be the complete, fully edited, properly formatted book. The first page was the title, contents, and beginning of Chapter One. I continued on with the hope that the official copy was formatted differently.

Unfortunately, I was not impressed when I started reading. It was littered with grammatical errors from the very beginning and I questioned if it was edited at all. There were run-on sentences, mixing of tenses, different fonts, different font sizes, and words missed or replaced with incorrect ones. Additionally, given the syntax and sentence structure, it appeared that the author may have not been a native English speaker or translated the book from another language. However, the version I read was done so incorrectly and needed additional editing.

The story structure was similar to other books where the main character starts in the present then takes you to the past. I did not find much fault with that. Moreover, I actually thought the descriptions had potential but the grammatical errors made sure I could not appreciate these sentences. Even the story sounded interesting because of the nature of the story and the main character's work. It was just hard to get through given the errors.

Overall, given the above reasons, I am unable to give this book more than 1 out of 4 stars. The book does have potential but needs immense editing work as it was difficult to read the book to completion. I would not recommend this to others until it was updated. If you're looking for a first-person account of this time period, I would recommend finding another story.

Devil’s garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

Yikes I wouldn't be able to finish a book with that many errors. Thanks for the review.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

Frances019 wrote: 26 May 2020, 12:12 Yikes I wouldn't be able to finish a book with that many errors. Thanks for the review.
I'll be honest...it was difficult! Luckily, it was short so I was able to get through it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”