Official Review: All the Little Children Need to Come Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: All the Little Children Need to Come Home

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All the Little Children Need to Come Home" by CA Coder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Todd is making a remarkable recovery from a serious car accident when he suddenly dies in his bedroom. His parents and brother are heartbroken and overwhelmed with grief. Todd, however, is in Heaven and finds himself in the midst of Joe, an elder angel, and many angel children who have also died. Joe asks him to share stories of his life and loving family with the young angels because they did not experience this tender emotion while they were on Earth. Listening to his stories, the children are fascinated by the love between his family members and travel back to Earth to visit Todd’s family. Joe sees that this may interfere with fate and alter history; he must devise a plan to return to Earth, retrieve the little children, and take them back to Heaven.

All the Little Children Need to Come Home, by CA Coder, is told from two perspectives; the family members left on Earth and the angels watching over them from Heaven. This technique is cleverly employed throughout the book and reinforces the same scenes from both sides to provide clarity. Each chapter has an open ending that is filled in by the next. Although the story is emotionally charged, there is an element of humor that makes the story whimsical, comical, and melancholy all at the same time. A sprinkling of clever phrases illustrates this author’s imagination and was quite unexpected. Who knew angels were so witty?

The best part of this book is the descriptions, and the author’s choice of words effectively captures the tone and mood. A distraught mother cries alone and tries to capture the lingering presence of her son, considering “final oblivion.” An angel “walks away with a book under his arm, feather pen stuck behind his ear.” Sensory details such as these provide readers with an emotional connection to the characters, and ironically, a sense of realism. Through the author’s writing, I could feel the depths of despair as Alice contemplates succumbing to past addictions. I could also appreciate the playful innocence of the children as they are portrayed throughout the story.

If I had to change one thing about this narrative, it would be to eliminate some of the repetitions in the dialogue involving the children. At times, it seemed Haley was repeating phrases when talking to Alice, and the physical descriptions of her could also have a more varied word choice. I felt this was a minor issue, though, and in itself would not warrant deducting any stars from the rating. There were also some mistakes in editing, though, particularly with capitalization. Because of these errors, I give this story 3 out of 4 stars. Had there been more careful proofreading, the book would have received a perfect rating.

I recommend this book to all readers, as we can all relate to the universal emotions of loss and hopelessness. Given there is no profanity, it is appropriate for younger readers. There is a good blend of characterization and plot to create a fictional yet inspirational story that is sure to entertain. This is not a book for people who are looking for an austere explanation of the afterlife or a guide through bereavement. Instead, it is a fulfilling story of one family’s journey through unimaginable anguish.

All the Little Children Need to Come Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vicky-kooro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Vicky-kooro »

The author description on his choice of words effectively captures the tone and mood. Although is emotionally charged, there is an element of humor that makes the story comical. Nice review
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

First, the title of the book intrigued me. Then, shortly into the review, I started thinking that it wasn't for me as religion-derived references to 'angels' and 'afterlife' aren't something I am very keen on. I am, however, glad that I have continued with the review as, I think, I may just have changed my mind :) Thank you for such an informative and inviting review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like that you enjoyed the book. I like the descriptions and storyline touching on heaven. I think this is creative and original. Thanks for the review.
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

The reviewer did a great job and was able to capture the feelings experienced in the two worlds. It's sad that Todd's parents had to deal with his becoming an angel, i wonder how they were able to cope.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”