Official Review: Snatch 2&20 by Luke E. Fellows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Snatch 2&20 by Luke E. Fellows

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snatch 2&20" by Luke E. Fellows.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I must confess that I have no idea what the culture of Wall Street is like, other than watching the occasional television series about high-powered finance and corporate backstabbing. Hence, when I came across Luke E. Fellows’s Snatch 2&20 – a piece of satire promising an in-depth look at the ludicruous side of Wall Street – I picked it up immediately.

Coming in at just slightly over 200 pages, Snatch 2&20 tells the story of Giles Goodenough, a Wall Street research analyst working at Merrill Lynch (or just a puffed-up name for the Bank of America, as Goodenough claims). Like his last name, Giles has done just the bare minimum (or more accurately, faked his way through) to not get fired throughout the entirety of his working life. However, he finds himself in hot water when Peter, his new boss, puts pressure on him to perform well at work and to find out more about Zyxview – an up-and-coming company whose stock price has been soaring – and its notoriously elusive boss, Egon Crump.

Firstly, I enjoyed the humour in this one! Written in the first-person, the reader sees Giles handle all the obstacles thrown at him with somewhat of a devil-may-care attitude, and the shenanigans he gets up to certainly had me snorting with laughter sometimes. For example, the reader learns that Giles has a rocky relationship with his father and likes to make him angry for the fun of it. On one particular occasion in this running gag, Giles learns the sordid truth about his ancestry, but he decides to withhold the information, only to reveal it in a public setting in a bid to embarrass his father (who is then unable to stop him for fear of making a scene). Honestly, I liked these little episodes, even if they were not pertinent to the plot; these anecdotes served to make Giles a more well-rounded character for readers to relate to.

Still, as much as I enjoyed the humour, Fellows also tends to include a heavy amount of crass sexual innuendo, which I found distasteful. Unfortunately, it seems like authors nowadays seem to think that crude sexual humour is a hallmark of satire, when this is far from the case. Whilst I do occasionally enjoy such humour, there is only so much that I can take without becoming tired of it – in this case, less is more!

Also, another negative point is that due to the short length of the book, Snatch 2&20 reads rather stiltedly in the second half. What I mean by this is that it seems as if some of the minor plot lines were sacrificed in order to ensure that the book ends on time; hence, the reading experience becomes rather messy and rushed, which was very much a pity. Moreover, the plot holes present in the second half were also solved with a deus ex machina, which was, personally, very disappointing.

Moreover, there are many Latin phrases used in the book; the use of Latin is most likely a homage to the Classics education that both the author and Giles Goodenough received. However, there were no English translations included, which would trip up the reading flow for readers who are unfamiliar with such terms.

Therefore, I will rate Luke E. Fellows’s Snatch 2&20 2 out of 4 stars, due to the rushed plot and overuse of crude sexual humour (nearly crossing the line into misogyny in a few instances). In addition, there are many punctuation errors present, such as semicolon misuse and missing commas. It was slightly annoying but did not detract much from the reading flow. There is a lot of potential present, but more refining is still required for the book to be good enough (pun intended)! Still, for those who are interested in learning more about Wall Street and its culture, Snatch 2&20 is a decent introduction. For those sensitive, there are some explicit references to homosexual relationships, open marriages, group sex, as well as profane language.

Snatch 2&20
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I too would get really disappointed with a deus ex machina turn of events! Also, a heavy sexual humor sounds discouraging. But still hopefully this book finds its reader :) Thank you for a great review!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ellylion wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 06:42 I too would get really disappointed with a deus ex machina turn of events! Also, a heavy sexual humor sounds discouraging. But still hopefully this book finds its reader :) Thank you for a great review!
I agree with you! I'm also hopeful that after editing, it will attract a wider audience. Thanks for stopping by! :D
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This book seems to host quite a few oddities, huh. The language, plot holes, and rushed end are definitely unfortunate. Considering that the ending tends to be what sticks most with readers, you would imagine that more authors would spend a significant amount of time completing it with great intention. Perhaps the writer was under some kind of time restraint. Who knows. Hopefully, the writer will take some extra time and rework the second half of the book and change the ending. Great review!
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

For now this might not be the right book for me, unless it's undergone another round of edition, thanks for enlightening me on the book.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This sounds like an interesting read. There are so many Giles in the corporate world today faking their way through. I hope the author does a revamp on the story. Nice review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

sirbobthewise wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 20:02 This book seems to host quite a few oddities, huh. The language, plot holes, and rushed end are definitely unfortunate. Considering that the ending tends to be what sticks most with readers, you would imagine that more authors would spend a significant amount of time completing it with great intention. Perhaps the writer was under some kind of time restraint. Who knows. Hopefully, the writer will take some extra time and rework the second half of the book and change the ending. Great review!
You are right! But I hope that it wasn't due to a time constraint, since the author is retired. Hopefully, like you said, it will be reworked. Thanks for stopping by!

P.S. I will let you know my thoughts about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, once I actually get round to watching it. :D
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

This book has lots of humor. This book gives a brief description of wall street. This is a fascinating book to read. The author did an excellent job writing this genre of interesting novel.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 14:29 For now this might not be the right book for me, unless it's undergone another round of edition, thanks for enlightening me on the book.
I hope that the book will undergo more editing too; thanks for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Adanna Inya wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 03:22 This sounds like an interesting read. There are so many Giles in the corporate world today faking their way through. I hope the author does a revamp on the story. Nice review.
You are absolutely right! I hope so too, since I did enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by. :D
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ballbender wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 09:25 This book has lots of humor. This book gives a brief description of wall street. This is a fascinating book to read. The author did an excellent job writing this genre of interesting novel.
Indeed. Thanks for stopping by!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This reminds me of comics like Dilbert but funnier, I think. The office environment really does provide a good place for humour and it sounds like fun, all flaws aside.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Nisha Ward wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 14:42 This reminds me of comics like Dilbert but funnier, I think. The office environment really does provide a good place for humour and it sounds like fun, all flaws aside.
I haven't read Dilbert, but I may now have to give it a try! Indeed, it was a hilarious read that I rather enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it. :D
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book is quite unique. Has a same rhythm as 'Catch-22'. Thanks for the wonderful review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Priyanka2304 wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 14:02 The title of the book is quite unique. Has a same rhythm as 'Catch-22'. Thanks for the wonderful review.
It does seem like it, doesn't it? Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”