Official Review: The Shaman Cycle by George Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Shaman Cycle by George Moore

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shaman Cycle" by George Moore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shaman Cycle, written by George Moore, is a story full of magic and symbolism; it revolves around fundamental themes like death, reincarnation, souls, spirits, and consciousness. John Sackleton, the protagonist, is a history professor. The antagonist, Philippe Milieu, stalks him because he believes that Sackleton rose from the dead in Bucharest many years ago. Milieu drugs and kidnaps the protagonist, who goes through a revelatory experience of self-discovery throughout the book. Sackleton realizes that he lives in two worlds, and he resorts to ancient shamanic wisdom to make sense of his predicament.

What I liked the most about this imaginative story was its rhythm and how the narrative shifts back and forth from the past to the present. The author does this in a balanced and creative manner. I enjoyed how the protagonist embarks on a journey of memories as he slowly starts to remember past experiences that initially seemed to be just ordinary dreams. I particularly appreciated the part where he sees himself living among villagers of a Siberian tribe. There’s also a beautiful love story that the author weaves well. I liked the portrayal of Sackleton’s experiences and deep connection to a shaman named Kawt. The author skillfully develops their love and how they use the shaman’s path to follow one another across time.

Additionally, the author interestingly explores ancient legends and beliefs. For instance, what we call hypnosis today comes from Hindu and pre-Muslim Persian sources. Several ancient Greek myths get explored, such as Hypnos, Morpheus, Thanatos (sleep, dreams, death), who were brothers in the works of Ovid.

On the other hand, while I had no problem with the paranormal bits, I felt that some of the ordinary events that happened in the present were too farfetched. The protagonist’s heart stops a few times while the antagonist holds him captive and heavily drugged. Miraculously, though, an anthropologist and a historian easily manage to shock him back to life. These unlikely medical situations detracted a little from my enjoyment of the book. I felt that the plot would be better without them.

In closing, I rate The Shaman Cycle 3 out of 4 stars. I’m subtracting a star from the rating due to the implausible situations previously mentioned. Other than that, though, the book is an entertaining read, and it seems professionally edited. I would recommend it to readers who are interested in altered states of consciousness. If you are bothered by unorthodox views of life and death, you might not like it.

The Shaman Cycle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Maybe the author wrote the 'implausible situations' for a dramatic effect. I think I would enjoy this book. Great review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

This book would probably not appeal to me since it involves magic and a lot of unrealistic situations. Great review though.
Starling99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starling99.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Starling99 »

"On the other hand, while I had no problem with the paranormal bits, I felt that some of the ordinary events that happened in the present were too farfetched. "
This part of your review made me laugh! I totally know what you mean...it's ok to have unbelievable and unlikely things happen in a story as long as it is plausible in the context it's in.

Really liked your review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It is an intriguing story. I want to know what's Shaman, I've never heard the name before.
Good Review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”