Official Review: Section Roads by Mike Murphey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Section Roads by Mike Murphey

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Section Roads" by Mike Murphey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cullen and Shelby formed a bond from the very start of their relationship, drawn together by their shared nerdiness. They both played saxophone in the school band and wore glasses, granted Shelby's of the much larger bottle variety. Cullen took an interest in Shelby and saw the beauty in her that others could not. They soon became inseparable and formed meaningful relationships with other school castoffs like Buddy, the football player who found it hard to fit in with the jock mentality and Weard, the genius who had skipped a few grades. 

Forty years later, at their high school reunion, these old friends come together under not-so-happy circumstances. Cullen, now a lawyer, finds his services needed as his friends are being accused of a murder that took place during the reunion. On top of the commotion caused by these events, old crimes are dredged up, and along with them, old feelings and heartaches. 

I absolutely loved Section Roads by Mike Murphey. It is such a well-crafted story full of an appropriate amount of romance and intrigue. This is the type of book that should appeal to a multitude of readers. I really enjoyed reading about Cullen and Shelby's developing relationship. I found that part of the story sweet and touching. At the same time, I was pulled into the gripping mystery of who committed which murders and the motives behind the crimes. That part of the story kept me guessing and played a nice balancing act with the more emotional side of the coming-of-age tale. I think the author did an excellent job of telling these stories side-by-side as he moved back and forth between present day and various years in Cullen and Shelby's past. 

What I liked most about this book was the character development. I really got to know all of the characters, and because of that, felt for them. I cheered Cullen on in his pursuit of Shelby. I grew angry with the other students when they made fun of the main characters. I worried about Cullen and the gang when some of the group found themselves convicted of crimes, and I genuinely wished all of the characters full and happy lives, well, most of the characters anyway. 

It's very hard to think of something that I didn't like about this book. If I had to choose a least favorite part, it would be the ending. However, that is only because it didn't come to the conclusion I had hoped for. That's my personal preference and nothing to do with poor writing or bad plot. Overall, it was a nearly flawless read. 

For that reason, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was impeccably written with almost no grammar errors that I could find. Once I started reading, I wanted to finish. It was very hard to put down. I am confident that this book could be enjoyed by a variety of readers. If you like mystery, suspense, romance, or coming-of-age tales, this is for you. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has zero desire to read at least a little bit of a love story. However, romance is not a genre I typically read, and this book really tugged at my heartstrings. It was just such a good story that I think it deserves a read anyway. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised. 

Section Roads
View: on Bookshelves
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

No need saying much about this book. It is a must read for me because I can not read such an amazing review and just pass. Good work. Thanks.
jennacassidy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jennacassidy »

Beautiful book. Very different from most of my reads but that’s okay. I actually enjoyed it. Definitely will recommend to family and friends.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Very nice. It sounds similar to Stephen King's novel It, but without the scary clown. Thanks for your review. This one sounds like it's worth checking out.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

A wonderful review. I have never been into love stories because these stories differ a lot from reality. A love story that is also a coming-of-age tale, maybe I will give it a go!
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

drwcroaker wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 15:40 Very nice. It sounds similar to Stephen King's novel It, but without the scary clown. Thanks for your review. This one sounds like it's worth checking out.
Lol. It was on a class of its own though.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I love the concept of the plot. This is definitely something I would love to read once am done with my current book. Thank you for the nice review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

What a turn of events for these old school friends. I wonder how things will pan out for them. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Dracula's Guest by Amaya Tenshi

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like the synergy of mystery and romance, it's a blend I enjoy. Thanks for your detailed review.
Ben97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ben97 »

I think this would be an entertaining romance book.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

This review is absolutely the kink to how good the book will be.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Murder, suspense, childhood friends, and romance, sounds like a fantastic story. Thanks for the amazing review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I always like it when the author tells the story in the present and the past, side by side. It sounds as though this author did a great job integrating the two, as well as making sure to properly develop his characters. Thank you for your well crafted review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Congratulations on an exceptional review! God bless you!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Romance and mystery - sounds intriguing! This sounds like a fantastic read. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”