Official Review: To Walk the Dog by Glen F. Welch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: To Walk the Dog by Glen F. Welch

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Walk the Dog" by Glen F. Welch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Walk the Dog is categorized as "other fiction." But is that so? In the preface, the author leaves open another possibility: "What you are about to experience in the following pages is pure fiction, except for the parts that are not." Everything indicates that Glen F. Welch is the protagonist, Joseph O'Flaherty, better known as Joe.

But who is Joe after all? In the first pages of the book, this question is answered. The protagonist is a veteran who had to retire due to physical conditions. Joe is a devoted military man and a Christian who has faith in two things: God and his country.

Having to abandon military service, Joe can only serve his country in the civil service. When his new job begins, he realizes that he has never been so angry in his life: there are many "critters" who are nothing more than bureaucrats, careerists, and spendthrifts who have no concern for the taxpayer's money. When he is about to retire, he discovers that an unpretentious letter he sent to the President of the United States has been received. He will be asked to drain the swamp no longer as an employee, but now as boss.

First, I must make it clear that this book has many commendable qualities. When I chose this book, I was excited to find out more about American civil service. I had hoped that in the United States, the so-called bureaucratic flaws would not be so noticeable. Obviously, it would not be a sector as efficient as the private sector, but still a dynamic sector. And I couldn't be more wrong.

Besides, I feared that the book could become tedious. Again, I couldn't be more wrong. There is a great deal of humor and military references that make it very enjoyable. The moral journey of a patriotic soldier trying to eliminate bureaucrats who only want money has also added a dose of suspense that has made this book incredibly addictive. Since I only found five grammatical errors in the entire book, there is no doubt that it is well-edited. Whoever proofread this work did a terrific job.

For all the reasons mentioned above, To Walk the Dog deserves four out of four stars. There is nothing I didn't like about the book. It is not only an addictive book but also something that could be used as a case study on how American civil service works. I mainly believe that the way this book was written is as efficient as possible. A scientifically written theoretical book would not be as accessible to a wide range of readers.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding how civil service works in the United States. Believe me when I say that this book is much more exciting and addictive than the description on Amazon implies.

To Walk the Dog
View: on Bookshelves
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Will love to view the America civil system
Key204
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Key204 »

Kodus ! Made a genre like this is so hard, but you make a good masterpiece
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

This sounds super interesting, as well as educational. I’ll definitely add this to my list. Thank you for the honest review!
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Does this hold sexist views? I'm only asking since I always finish the books I read, and I do not want to read a book that has way too much sexism. Although, I admit that your review paints the book as an enjoyable read. Thank you for this review!
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I don't really know much about the American civil system or service. I can say the story would be interesting to those that love things about the military. Thanks for the review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am not at all familiar with civil services in America. This book will definitely throw a light on it so that I can draw comparisons and relate it to the civil services in rest of the world.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

If this really is the life story of the author instead of fiction, this could be a very interesting read... did you find other proof to support your thoughts than what you already mentioned above? :eusa-think:

Interesting book and interesting review, thanks a lot! :)
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Your review makes this sound like a much more compelling read than I first thought. Thank you. I’m intrigued.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

There is a great deal of humor and military references that make it very enjoyable
An encouraging review. Thanks
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Couldn't connect the name with the plot. Thanks for the review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60