Official Review: On the Steps of St. Dymphna by Tony Rocco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: On the Steps of St. Dymphna by Tony Rocco

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Steps of St. Dymphna" by Tony Rocco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the Steps of St. Dymphna is one of the most original pieces of fiction I have ever come across. The book falls under the genre of absurdist fiction and is written by Tony Rocco.

Before his life-altering encounter with the “magic bed” John was just an ordinary guy with an ordinary existence. He worked as part of the technical support team at GMC Megatronics and had a stable relationship with a nice girl. All this changes when he tries out a bed at Le Bed Shoppe and has an unbelievable experience that leads to his enlightenment. He denounces his former way of life and becomes Pastor John. John is no ordinary Pastor; he frees himself of the shackles of conformity and dresses in colourful transgender apparel. He starts a church named “The New Life Church of the Godhead of the Bed” with a group of homeless folk as his followers. His mission is to fill the lives of others with joy and purpose. Pastor John seeks to uplift himself and his followers by uplifting others. They decide that the perfect place to carry out their mission is the local sanatorium, St. Dymphna’s House of Hope. Did John really have an authentic spiritual experience on the “magic bed” or did he just go mad?

Although On the Steps of St. Dymphna generally has a humorous air to it, I found it to be quite thought-provoking. Events and their true meaning are not spelled out for us, and there is an ambiguity in John’s realizations. This gave the book a realm of realism to it. In real life, do we ever really know what the significance of a certain event is? And when we think an event has meaning, does it really? Or are we the ones who give meaning to that event? John goes to great lengths to discover the true meaning of his experience with the “magic bed”, and all the while, I could not decide on what I thought had really happened. I could not be sure that John had really had an enlightening experience; neither could I be sure that he had gone mad.

John’s attempts to find purpose in his life and to help others do the same was quite amusing. Was he truly making a difference in the lives of the people he was trying to help or was he just throwing his life away? Well, true to the absurdist fiction genre the author does not pose judgement on John’s actions. Readers are left to decide for themselves what it is they think about John's decisions. This is one of the reasons that I think that On the Steps of St. Dymphna has been brilliantly written.

I readily rate On the Steps of St. Dymphna 4 out of 4 stars. I can only say good things about this great book. And as such, it deserves nothing less than a perfect rating. It is fast-paced, has a great flow to it, and is easy to read. It contains amusing characters who are well developed and are believable. Also, it contains very few errors and has been well edited. I recommend it to readers who enjoy thought-provoking fiction books. Just a warning though, the characters use profanity here and there in their communications with each other.

On the Steps of St. Dymphna
View: on Bookshelves
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

John seems an interesting character. Thanks for the amazing review. Would definitely read this book someday.
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

I'm not a fan of the absurdist genre, so I doubt this book is for me. It is, however, a very interesting premise. What is really authentic? And, one might ask, does an event lose its meaning just because we were the ones who gave it said meaning in the first place?
Anyway, nice review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

A fast-paced book with a great flow and developed characters is worth considering. That it is well-edited is a bonus. I will probably find the profanity and absurdist nature of the book disturbing, so I'll have to pass. Nonetheless, thanks for the enlightening review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Your praise for this book is unmistakable. I'd love to read this awesome book. Great job on the review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

I like the book and I look forward to reading it. I would really want to know the exact thing that brought about the transformation. Thanks for the review.
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

This sounds absolutely fascinating and is definitely a book I would like to read. I just wish there were more hours in the day as the books are stacking up only "want to read" shelf. I'll try and get to this one soon.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've never heard of absurdist fiction. Sounds like an interesting and entertaining genre. John's experience with the magic bed was enough to change his life. Or was it? How intriguing!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a fictional piece that will have readers thinking about the events in our lives, how we perceive them, and the outcomes that result. Filled with unique, believable characters and dialogue, this book is fast-paced and easy to read. Sounds like a good one! Thank you!! :-)
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

This book will definitely be an interesting read. It seems a little out of my comfort zone, but I really wanna see for myself if John was losing it or not.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Nice review. The story does sound original and exciting. Congratulations BOTD!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This seems to be and interesting and fast paced book. I'm just wondering a pastor being a cross dresser. Great review.
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

John seems like a nice character, the book is well written with a perfect flow and a fast pace. Great review.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Acu Silas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acu-silas.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Acu Silas »

I have never read an absurdist fictional before and I have to say that this is a read I look forward to. It's interesting to see how John founds his church in ways beyond the norm. The themes and deep questions explored in this book are more than enough motivation to delve into its pages.
Emmanuelufot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Emmanuelufot »

I guess this book will be very interesting,the magic bed experience to becoming a servant Of God, am just wondering about the complications involved.
I give a thumb up to the review,its a nice edition.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”