Official Review: ODIN by Riano D. McFarland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Re: Official Review: ODIN by Riano D. McFarland

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Valkyrie9 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 08:17 Animals can play such an significant role in emotional recovery, although it is often overlooked. It sounds like this a great story that seeks to highlight this. Thanks for the warm and thorough review!
An excellent point indeed!! Emotional support animals are often a huge benefit in the recovery of trauma survivors. Thanks so much for stopping by to read, comment, and share your thoughts!
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

The plot of this book seemed so compelling and human that I immediately thought it was a true story. I'm impressed that the author was able to create such an emotional bond between his characters, and more so by this review which pointed that out flawlessly. Amazing work!
AvidBibliophile

Ms_Rita30 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 11:09 I tried to nurse a puppy back to health once but unfortunately it didn't survive. It gladdens me to learn Odin had Katherine to save it. I find dogs to be the most loyal of pets. Great review.
It’s a very hard task to successfully nurse a baby animal (wild or domesticated) back from the brink. Huge hugs to you for trying as best you could. My dog is my everything, so that sense of loyalty and unconditional love is what gets me through every day. Thank you so much for your sweet words!
AvidBibliophile

kdstrack wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 18:22 Labradors make amazing pets! Odin's story sounds heartwarming. Even though this is a fictional story, there is truth behind this dog's amazing abilities to learn new things. I enjoyed your review.
For sure they do!! I think their only downfall might be all the dog hair they shed, but their love and intelligence is worth it. :dog: Odin was a great role model for canine companions everywhere! Thanks so much for coming by to read and chat.
AvidBibliophile

Wy_Bertram wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 08:21 The plot of this book seemed so compelling and human that I immediately thought it was a true story. I'm impressed that the author was able to create such an emotional bond between his characters, and more so by this review which pointed that out flawlessly. Amazing work!
This is the 2nd book I’ve read by this author (the other was about a boy and his dragon who could shape-shift into a dog) and that’s a unique quality common to them both - the realistic tone! These characters pull you in, leave you shocked, and have you crying by the end. I was beyond impressed. Thank you for the kind words!
AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

This is the first review I've read here so far (new member!), and I loved it! Definitely adding this book to my to-read list. It sounds like a whole lot of story packed into just 97 pages! Thanks for introducing me to this book.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

What an amazing story about human-dog bonding :) And how touching that the author dedicated the book to no-kill shelters! Thank you for this great review!
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Smooth review. This is a book I would definitely like to read.
AvidBibliophile

AGreatUsername wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 02:40 This is the first review I've read here so far (new member!), and I loved it! Definitely adding this book to my to-read list. It sounds like a whole lot of story packed into just 97 pages! Thanks for introducing me to this book.
Well first of all, WELCOME! There are so many fabulous books on here that are complete gems of ‘indie author’ discovery. I hope you get the chance to read and enjoy as many as you can! This canine coupling was so beautifully written. Greatly appreciate you stopping by to read and share!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

I gave up on dog books after reading Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows as a child, but this book sounds heartwarming and interesting at the same time. Thanks for a great review!
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 05:06 What an amazing story about human-dog bonding :) And how touching that the author dedicated the book to no-kill shelters! Thank you for this great review!
I have a great appreciation for this author and have read more than one of his heartwarming stories! Thank you so much for gaining the overall impression I hoped to convincingly convey in my words. Your sweet comment means a lot! :heart:
AvidBibliophile

Teele wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 18:25 Smooth review. This is a book I would definitely like to read.
Thanks so much! Hope you get the chance to check it out :techie-studyinggray:
AvidBibliophile

unamilagra wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 22:34 I gave up on dog books after reading Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows as a child, but this book sounds heartwarming and interesting at the same time. Thanks for a great review!
Ok, so I will admit that I legit cried reading this one. In the exact same way that Where the Red Fern Grows emotionally yanked me apart as a teenager, the ending of this one did too. If the human characters expire, I somehow just take it in stride. But when a dog reaches his end, tears are absolutely unavoidable. I still definitely recommend it! But yeah, it got me good. Thanks for your sweet words!
AGreatUsername

Post by AGreatUsername »

unamilagra wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 22:34 I gave up on dog books after reading Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows as a child, but this book sounds heartwarming and interesting at the same time. Thanks for a great review!
Oh man, same. Those two books just wrecked me as a kid. They're in kind of the same vein as My Girl or Bridge to Terabithia. I can't do books or movies with dead puppies or dead kids.
AGreatUsername

Post by AGreatUsername »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 18:34
AGreatUsername wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 02:40 This is the first review I've read here so far (new member!), and I loved it! Definitely adding this book to my to-read list. It sounds like a whole lot of story packed into just 97 pages! Thanks for introducing me to this book.
Well first of all, WELCOME! There are so many fabulous books on here that are complete gems of ‘indie author’ discovery. I hope you get the chance to read and enjoy as many as you can! This canine coupling was so beautifully written. Greatly appreciate you stopping by to read and share!
Thank you! I'm excited, I've read tons of indie and self-published books on my Kindle over the years and I'm always looking for more :) And now with the quarantine, there's plenty of time to sit and read a while!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”