Official Review: A Woman's Persuasion by Jeanette Watts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Official Review: A Woman's Persuasion by Jeanette Watts

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Woman's Persuasion" by Jeanette Watts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Woman’s Persuasion by Jeanette Watts is a romantic novel set mainly in 2008. While Anne Elliot is studying her major in college, she meets a girl named Freddie Wentworth. They worked together on some assignments and end up in a relationship. Freddie had already confessed to her family that she was bisexual, and they openly accepted her relationship with Anne. However, when Anne decided to introduce her girlfriend to her father Walter Elliot and her elder sister Elizabeth, they disagreed with that relationship. Faced with her father's threat to suspend all financial aid, including her tuition, Anne broke up with Freddie. Thereafter, Anne stopped caring about her appearance, became incredibly fat, and lost enthusiasm for having fun and hanging out with friends.

The bank where Walter and Elizabeth work is affected by a financial crisis. Lanie Russell, their financial consultant, advises them to go to another city where the bank may require their services, and thus they could soothe the effects of the crisis. After analyzing the options, they decide to sell the family's apartment in Manhattan and move to Dayton, Ohio. Coincidentally, the buyer of the apartment turned out to be a half-sister from Freddie.

Anne stays to live for a few months at home Mary, her younger sister. Although Anne tries to elude Freddie they end up meeting. Various situations and encounters arise between friends and family, in which they coincide. Freddie constantly hangs out with Anne’s brothers-in-law, Henry and Louis Musgrove. Many think she will end up as a girlfriend of one of them. Concurrently, Anne is courted by William Elliot, a former protégé of her father, who coincidentally has the same last name. William, after having quarreled with Walter, returns to try to regain his confidence.

The plotline includes two big expectations. The principal one is about what will happen to the impossible love between Freddie and Anne. The other is around William Elliot and Elizabeth's best friend, Penny Clay. Both William and Penny are permanently around Walter and his family and seem to maintain an obscure interest.

The story is recounted from the third-person perspective, generally with Anne being the protagonist. The narrative is easy to follow, and the facts are coherently linked. The writing style is concise. There are many characters, and all of them are adequately described and well used in the plot. In general, dialogues are fluid, coherent, credible, and realistic.

The plot focuses predominantly on Anne's uneasiness in feeling that she will be incapable to be with the love of her life. However, the story is cleverly mixed with aspects associated with family relationships. In several passages, the behavioral trait of some characters regarding the worship of money and material goods is exposed. In a way, the author criticizes this type of attitude.

I liked the character of Anne since she expresses love in essence between souls and not among genders. She was the sole member of her family who was not an adorer of money and worldly things. Anne's traits include being kind, helpful, emotional, intellectual, and intelligent.

I found fascinating the author's excellent handling of the moments of doubt and reflection that Anne experienced during the development of the plot. The analysis of the possible reasons for some facts, actions, or people's reactions. All of those descriptions were relatable and intriguing. For example, when Freddie left the restaurant without waiting for George Carlin’s show. The unique aspect I disliked was that very little is told about Anne and Freddie's brief romance when they were in college.

A Woman's Persuasion presents the story of impossible love between people of the same sex and introduces attractive aspects of family relationships. Plus, it leaves an exhortation about people who focus excessively on owning money and seek friendship from wealthy people out of interest. The edition was professional as I barely observed a couple of minor details. For all that said, I am pleased to rate A Woman’s Persuasion with 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who like love novels incentivized with intrigue and family relations. This work may be unpleasant for those who oppose same-sex relationships.

A Woman’s Persuation

A Woman's Persuasion
View: on Bookshelves
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Ann being the main proponent, i admire the fact that she came out boldly to confess her sexuality to the family. This seems an interesting read which i will definitely do. A great review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot is so captivatin that I was hooked the entire time I was reading this review. Thanks for this excellent review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Ms_Rita30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-rita30.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ms_Rita30 »

For one who's opposed to same-sex relationships, I would pass on this book. But you did give a well written and detailed review. Well done!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I got a hint about the story from its cover. Would definitely try to spare some time to read this one. Thanks for the amazing review.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

People often can't accept the uniqueness. But each and every person is unique in his own way. Love is not love when it is only a physical attraction. We should change our mindset.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

:idea2:
Ms_Rita30 wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 11:28 For one who's opposed to same-sex relationships, I would pass on this book. But you did give a well written and detailed review. Well done!
I share your sentiments. Nice review though.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

A well written review on a very controversial issue on sexuality.Sounds like an interesting read.
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

This sounds like an interesting reading, full of different themes. I enjoyed while reading your review, and this means the book is more enjoyable. Thanks for this review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The plot twists are so captivating. Thanks for the review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I got to understand the book's structure and message for the review. Great review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 23:20 People often can't accept the uniqueness. But each and every person is unique in his own way. Love is not love when it is only a physical attraction. We should change our mindset.
I agree with you Susmita. Nice review by the way.
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review provides a comprehensive overview of "A Woman's Persuasion" by Jeanette Watts. The reviewer praises the well-developed characters, realistic dialogue, and the exploration of family dynamics. They appreciate the protagonist's portrayal of love transcending gender and the critique of materialism. The reviewer found the handling of Anne's doubts and reflections intriguing but wished for more details about her past romance with Freddie. Overall, the review rates the book 4 out of 4 stars and recommends it to those who enjoy love novels with elements of intrigue and family relations. Captivating twists, kept me guessing until the end.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”