Official Review: Problem Girl and the Choices of Constell...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: Problem Girl and the Choices of Constell...

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Problem Girl and the Choices of Constellations" by Roof Alexander.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If you had the choice to live a long normal life or a short extraordinary life, which would you choose?”

April-March asks everyone this question, which serves as the leitmotif of Problem Girl and the Choices of Constellations by Roof Alexander. April-March Doe is an orphan that's been bouncing around the foster system until rich Ms. Oglethorpe, captivated by her literary talent, takes her in and sends her to a boarding school full of privileged kids. Among them is Max Hearst, and between them, a deep connection is born. All is well until a tragic event brings out Problem Girl, March's alter ego, who throws them both into a quest through South America to save their lives and to make them worth living.

Problem Girl and the Choices of Constellations by Roof Alexander is the best book I've read all year. I can't pinpoint a single asset that I liked most because the combination of them all is what makes this book amazing. The pacing of the novel is perfect. The author plays with your emotions in the best possible way. You'll find your heart pounding and broken at times, but you won't be able to stop turning pages.

When people say to you that there's nothing new under the sun, point them to this book. The premise is original, to begin with, but the execution is outstanding. The genre is a mix of adventure, romance, and coming-of age novels resulting in something that's not as sappy as some romances but not as full of unrelenting unbelievable exploits as most adventure novels. The author takes the best of each genre and turns it into something unforgettable. The narration is interspersed with April-March's “Life Rules”, a collection of wise adages that she's been assembling through her nomadic life. These are both funny and thought-provoking. For example, “Life Rule #6: Don’t listen to adults. They are just storage units of fear and regret.”

The character development is also exceptional. April-March is clever, cynical, and sensitive; and although Max could fall into the “poor little rich boy” trope, trust me, they're both full of surprises. The dialogues are believable but witty, and there's a lot of humor that lightens up a book that approaches some grim topics.

I applaud that the portrayal of their life in South America is not as skewed as in most books written from an American perspective. The author presents some flaws of these countries, including my homeland, which is realistic, but he also portrays Max and March being respectful of the different cultures they encounter.

The endless editing flaws are the only drawback of the book. There are several in English and a myriad in Spanish.

The book contains a lot of (justified) profanities and erotic scenes. It also approaches rape and risky behaviors like underage drinking and drug usage. It's safer to say that the book is best suited for a mature audience, although prudent teenagers could enjoy it. Anyone who enjoys romance novels, clever humor, or who just needs a little hope should read this book. I would not recommend this book to readers who dislike romance novels or who might feel offended by the sensitive topics mentioned.

Because of the original premise, unforgettable characters, outstanding narrative execution, and hopeful life message, I rate Problem Girl and the Choices of Constellations by Roof Alexander 3 out of 4 stars. It pains me not to give it a perfect rating, but the editing flaws are excessive.

This book gave me hope in humanity and reminded me why I love reading above all else. Amid a global pandemic and other disasters, March and Max, with their unending loyalty and unique joie de vivre, provided me solace and hope. Whether you choose an ordinary or an extraordinary life, pick up this book along the way.

Problem Girl and the Choices of Constellations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

A page-turner huh? Even with the plethora of errors, this one seems like a must read. Thanks for such a detailed and insightful review 👌
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would prefer a long normal life, as normal is often underrated :). Normal means feeling happy and secure, so who doesn't want that? Thank you for your great review, despite the errors seems like a very good read. Congratulations!
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I will pass this book. Great cover page. Amaizing review
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Wow, this book sounds wonderful. I love a book that’s both witty and thought-provoking. I enjoyed reading your review.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

RHD wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 03:02 A page-turner huh? Even with the plethora of errors, this one seems like a must read. Thanks for such a detailed and insightful review 👌
It is a must-read. It's honestly the best book I've read all year. Thanks for your comment!

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 04:42 Wow, this book sounds wonderful. I love a book that’s both witty and thought-provoking. I enjoyed reading your review.
Then this is the right book for you. The dialogues in the book are amazing and the "Life Rules" are hilarious, witty, and true!
Thank you for your comment. :tiphat:

jokinyo wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 07:18 I will pass this book. Great cover page. Amaizing review
Thank you!

raluca_mihaila wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 12:31 I would prefer a long normal life, as normal is often underrated :). Normal means feeling happy and secure, so who doesn't want that? Thank you for your great review, despite the errors seems like a very good read. Congratulations!
I understand. Indeed, security and "normalcy" is something most of us covet and take for granted at the same time. I think a normal life can be extraordinary. But either way, I cannot recommend this book enough!
Thanks for stopping by!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy. The rule about not listening to adults does ring a little bit true now. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Mounce574 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 08:04 This sounds like a book I would enjoy. The rule about not listening to adults does ring a little bit true now. Great review!
It is! And it's a wonderful book. I would love to know the perspective of someone as insightful as you are. Thanks for your interest!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I would definitely need a book that give hope because this year has just been terrible. Interesting review!

Aisha_123 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 06:07 I would definitely need a book that give hope because this year has just been terrible. Interesting review!
I know! I was going through an especially rough period when I read it and it truly lifted my spirits. I hope you give it a chance.
Thanks for stopping by!
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Wow! It sounds like an amazing book. I really loved your review and the way you're expressing your feelings about the book. It's amazing how one book can be so powerful to the reader.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”