Official Review: Recycled Hope by Linda Drugan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Official Review: Recycled Hope by Linda Drugan

Post by Teele »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Recycled Hope" by Linda Drugan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you familiar with the nursery rhyme about Old McDonald's farm? It is one of my favorite rhymes. It came to mind as soon as I started reading this book. One of the principal characters is Mr. McDowell who also had a farm. Recycled Hope by Linda Drugan is a book with an interesting plot.

In the opening chapters of this book, Linda reminisces about her life as a kid. These memories are triggered by the family gatherings she attends regularly. When they were kids, Linda and her sister, Karen, defied farmer McDowell's order for them to stay away from his tree house. While playing in the tree house, the unexpected happened. Why did farmer McDowell have such a grumpy attitude? Would the McDowells ever be friends with Linda's family? Would Madigan ever find her real parents? Pick up a copy of this book to satiate your curiosity.

This book was written from the first-person perspective, in clear and simple words. The order of events in the narrative was properly arranged. The descriptions of places and people are vivid. The story is filled with suspense. I held my breath as Linda and Karen climbed up the rickety old ladder to the tree house. The story would appeal to kids and teenagers who love adventure.

The characters had depth and consistency. I could relate to Rebecca's childish attitude as described in the narrative. Despite having numerous good qualities, Jacob's weakness made the story more realistic. After all, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. The narrative flows smoothly. What I love most in this book is the character development of Madigan. Her positive qualities are worthy of emulation. She is depicted as calm, forgiving, and enduring. She was able to adapt to enormous changes in her life without becoming bitter or spoiled.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. There are moral lessons to be learned from this book. Karen and Linda's disobedience led to serious consequences. Children can learn from their experiences. From the McDowells, I learned that when there is life, there is hope. The only thing I disliked in this book is the lack of humor in the narrative. It would have made the story more interesting. Asides from this, I have no other issues with this book. Readers aged 9 to 16 years of age would find this book interesting.

Recycled Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

What a wonderful book for children and adults to read. I enjoyed reading your review.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Quite an interesting plot. I'm curious about the story's conclusion. Thanks for your review.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

Tayejim1 wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 06:13 Quite an interesting plot. I'm curious about the story's conclusion. Thanks for your review.
namuyong wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 11:56 What a wonderful book for children and adults to read. I enjoyed reading your review.
Thanks for your comments. It really is a wonderful book.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Mortal Monarchs
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

This seems like a lovely book!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Yes, McDowell’s farm here is on a different plot; Linda, the young girl’s story that gets kidnapped and happened to reunite after a tragic and heartwarming journey. Your review is nicely summarized, Teele. Thanks.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Indeed when there is life there is hope.
The book is a great way for children to learn important lessons of life.
The review is wonderful.
Congratulations for Botd 🎉
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

A book about hope is for sure a good read. Children as well as adults both should read it
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I love the tone of your review, it's so appealing. And the moral lessons are very important and beneficial. Thanks for a detailed review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

An interesting story about a grumpy old man, his sweet wife, disobedient children, a raging bull, and a kidnapping sounds intriguing. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This seems like an interesting story about perseverance. I can see who young adults would benefit from reading this book. "After all, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. " If that isn't a universal truth I don't know what is. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This is a story with an interesting plot, simply written and suitable for young children and teens. A story about family life, and how breaking rules can have unexpected consequences. The novel contains useful lessons for young people. Thanks for the good review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

You made me curious about what the unexpected event is that happened when the kids were in the tree house.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This book is full of mystery and hope about a farmer Mr Mac Donalds and something that happened on the farm. Congratulations BOTD!
Kimjoy22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimjoy22.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Kimjoy22 »

You've written a good review detailing the character traits. It sure makes me analyze what I can claim to be my strengths and weakness. Your review makes the book look simple and interesting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”