Official Review: Sacrifice on the Border by Cecilia Domeyko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Sacrifice on the Border by Cecilia Domeyko

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sacrifice on the Border" by Cecilia Domeyko.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The bond between a mother and her child is almost inseparable. A mother can practically do anything for her child or children's well-being, as the case may be. The extent to which a mother can make sacrifices to ensure her child's safety and well-being is the central theme of Sacrifice on the Border by Cecilia Domeyko.

Yoali became distraught after being used, abused, and lied to by the first man she loved and her child's father — Guayo. Guayo had lied to her that their baby drowned; he intended to sell their son to a wealthy family. Yoali, though broken and shattered as a result of losing her baby, refused to accept the fact that her baby was dead. She still believed that he was alive somewhere and waiting for her to come and get him. With family and friends' help, she picked herself up and set out to find her son. This book detailed the challenges she faced and the sacrifices she made to look for her son.

This is one of the few stories that mess with my emotions in a good way. I love how the author structures the chapters; they are unique, and it shows that they are products of deep inspiration. Each chapter is concise but contains sufficient descriptive details. The author makes us see through the minds of different characters, and she beautifully describes the content of their thoughts. It helps us see the book from the various characters' perspectives. This style of writing is not very common, and I applaud the author for it.

The author's descriptions are both figurative and graphic. She knows how to use words to paint the exact picture she wants her readers to see. She effectively engages the reader's imagination. She describes each character's different personalities — how they think, act, and the challenges they face. It shows that she's a skilled writer.

The author's use of flashbacks is quite commendable. She effectively uses flashbacks to bridge time, place, and action. She also uses flashbacks to give insight and understanding into the characters' behaviors.

The Spanish accent in the book adds to its peculiarity. Like a special ingredient that can change food taste, the accent adds a distinct flavor to the book. The mix of English and Spanish is smooth; the reader can easily understand the Spanish words contextually.

I also loved how the author set the tone of the book. It was almost impossible to read the book and not identify with the style of the book. As I read the book, I couldn't separate my emotions from the book's consistent mood. I had to become one with the feeling that the author spread out across the book. This emotional feature endeared me most to the story.

Although I found a few errors in the book, I still reckon that it was professionally edited. I'd give it a rating of four out of four stars. I'd recommend it to adult readers, especially mothers, or anyone who wants to know the level of sacrifice a mother can make for her child's well-being. However, I wouldn't recommend it to a young reading audience due to the level of sexual content.

Sacrifice on the Border
View: on Bookshelves
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

A mother can go to any lengths for her child. This book seems to depict the same thing. I wonder to what lengths will Yoali go to find her child? I loved your insightful opinion of the book. I enjoyed reading your delightful review a lot! :romance-heartstiny:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”