Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 3 by L. R. Gerstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 3 by L. R. Gerstein

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 3" by L. R. Gerstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How much strain can one person take before giving up? How many bad outcomes does one person have to endure? In Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 3 by L. R. Gerstein, Vonne's heart-wrenching story continues.

Vonne had caught Asher, her husband, having sex with another man, and she resolved to have nothing to do with him anymore. This resolve lasted for six years, during which they had no contact with each other. However, they coincidentally met in New York City at a meeting Vonne was a participant. After the unplanned meeting, Asher desired to let her know that he didn't cheat on her. With pressure from her son, his son's father, her job, Asher, and many other shocking, unexpected sources, Vonne had to do something to keep her sanity. Just when she thought she was about to catch a break, something else came up and swept her feet from under her. How much more would she be able to endure?

The author told a stirring and emotional tale. I could relate very well with Vonne and identify with her experiences. The story was narrated in a very realistic way, depicting everyday activities. It made the book more relatable. The whole story seemed like something that could happen to anybody; not something far-fetched that only happens in fantasy books and movies. At a point, the characters came to be familiar and recognizable to me, and I felt their emotions like I would if they were my friends.

My favorite aspect of this book was the character development. The characters came to life, each with their distinct flaws, traits, and inclinations. Every word and action carried out was in tandem with their personalities, and I could almost predict their reactions to specific situations. I saw how their experiences and circumstances shaped the characters. They did not miraculously turn out how the author wanted them to; there was a clear progression in their development. Vonne, for instance, having faced disappointment and loss from a very tender age, developed a mistrustful, self-preservative attitude that made her seem stubborn, bossy, and opinionated. Hence, she was unable to accept help from people comfortably.

Most of the characters were Jewish, and there were some words and phrases from Jewish culture present in the book. I admired the author's thoughtfulness in adding a section where these terms were translated to help the reader understand the book better.

However, there were also many words and phrases written in French, and most of them were not translated. It would not be easy for someone without any French knowledge to understand some of the characters' conversations. I did not find this enough to take away any point from the book, but it would have been better if the translations were added. This was the only thing I found a tad off-putting about the book, albeit a minor issue.

There were some grammatical errors in the book — mostly punctuation errors. Though I reckon the book was professionally edited considering its volume, I'd still rate it 3 out of 4 stars because I found up to ten errors. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good, emotional story. Parental guidance would be needed for readers below thirteen due to the book's level of sexual content.

Y. Vonne Beck? Volume 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”