Official Review: One Night by Ryan Glenn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: One Night by Ryan Glenn

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Night" by Ryan Glenn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Judson Leino loved his job as an LPN, licensed practical nurse, at the large hospital adult psychiatric ward. He cared about his patients and treated them with dignity, realizing many were people unable to handle the stress of their lives. Judson did his job well and worked hard. So when management decided to downsize, he was surprised to lose his job. After months of searching for a new job that would utilize his nursing talents, a heart-breaking event causes him to hit his breaking point.

One Night by Ryan Glenn is an emotionally beautiful, mystical, and magical story of finding hope when problems seem insurmountable. This author can make you experience the characters’ feelings. I both laughed and cried while reading this book, as I identified with Judson. I understood his pride in working with his patients, his pain at losing his job, and his despair at not being able to find another job suiting his skills. When he took the job in the short-staffed nursing home, I could relate as I had a similar job one summer. I understood the mind-numbing, exhausting feeling of being on your feet for twelve hours straight, working as fast as you can to handle all of the patients’ needs, and having no time to talk to anyone or even take a bathroom break.

Judson Leino is a wonderfully realistic and believable character. He is content with his modest life and hopeful for the future. I loved his humor and the way he interacted with his psychiatric patients. I liked this part of the story and found some of the patients’ actions hilarious.

This book excellently portrays the depression and hopelessness many people feel in today’s world. You can understand their desperation and sadness. However, my favorite part of this book is the promise that life will get better. Life is not hopeless but filled with hope and possibilities.

I liked everything about this beautiful story, and I recommend it to people who like character-driven and emotionally charged dramas. There is no sex in the book, but there is some profanity. I found a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t interfere with my enjoyment of the story. They are the only thing I can say I disliked about the book. Since the problems were so minor, I believe the book has been edited professionally. Because it is so well written and emotionally uplifting, I am awarding One Night by Ryan Glenn with 4 out of 4 stars. It’s not often I find a book staying in my mind so long after I have read it. It is one of my favorite books I’ve read this year.

One Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds entertaining for sure! I have read quite a few stories about people who work in hospitals and always enjoyed them. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

Emotionally driven books are always great when you need to escape reality for a bit. I really enjoyed your review.
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

I think the most talented authors can take us on a journey of many emotions. It also sounds like this helps lend credibility to the perspective that anyone could end up in anyone else's shoes at any moment and because of that, we should always live with empathy. I'll be adding this to my list of books to check out. Thank you for the great review.
quaintrelle4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quaintrelle4.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by quaintrelle4 »

Thanks for sharing the joy you had while reading this book. I love the book’s message of hope and it’s empathetic nature. Amidst these strange and unprecedented times, this book would be a great read for many. I look forward to adding it to my bookshelf.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”