Official Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Official Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chr...

Post by Olabode Joshua »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell" by C J H Moore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The underworld has its own set of rules; they’re hard rules but fair. The corporate rules of law could be soft and unfair because there’s so much greed and corruption in the world.”

Chris Bell was born in the ghetto. Ever since he could form a coherent thought, all he wanted to do was to stamp out ignorance and poverty in his city. So, he unified the Vice Lords, Disciples, and other minor gangs of Chicago and created the Shadow of Knights. Chris’ plan was to stop Blacks from senselessly killing one another in the name of turf defence. He wanted to transform the ghetto into a “Black Wall Street” and make the Shadow of Knights a force to reckon with in the underworld. However, “you have to play the lottery to win it,” so the Shadow of Knights started making money by dealing drugs and offering protection to high-level targets. Nevertheless, protecting their second client, Christov, pitted them against the most powerful gang in the world: The Russian Mafia. The Red Mafia has woven itself into the fabric of society, but can the Shadow of Knights beat them? What will result from the Shadow of Knights' challenge? Also, will Chris achieve his goals? Find out by getting a copy of Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell.

Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore is a fictional tale revolving around a young man named Chris Bell and his dream of turning the ghetto into a wonderland. Chris actively engaged in informing gang members of the aftereffects of the slave trade. He trained them to become ninjas and enlightened them to know who they really were. This book captures all the mannerisms of gangsters and features a great deal of action as well. It is easy to dismiss this book as regular fiction, but it stimulates emotions and whets the appetite. Indeed, it is six hundred and thirty-eight pages of pure legend, a fictional tale that is steeped in fact.

The biggest thing I liked about this book was the abundance of ghetto jargon in it. Oddly enough, I found the usage of swear words amusing. In fact, I came to expect it. Also, the author's depiction of the ghetto lifestyle was very accurate. It was as if I visited such a place physically. This book also influenced me to always form my own conclusions about historical events. I was enlightened and entertained at the same time. Additionally, I have to commend C J H Moore for the depth he gave to the characters in this book. Lastly, I enjoyed all the conversations between Chris and Madi. Those encounters made it easy for me to relate with Chris’ character.

Nevertheless, there were several instances where the book was absolutely boring. Those parts added unnecessary volume to the book and also made the plot seem monotonous. I felt Mr Moore tried to do too much, and it ended up being counterproductive. Furthermore, I felt that some of the events that took place in this book were too outlandish and really hard to believe. Nonetheless, it didn’t affect my rating because it is a work of fiction, after all.

I rate Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore 3 out of 4 stars for its well-executed plot and motivational quality. I concluded that the book’s editing was not perfect, as I was able to find ten legitimate errors in it. Nonetheless, it didn’t affect my rating a lot because I thought the errors were negligible considering the size of the book. Still, I would have reduced my rating if I had found more errors. On the other hand, I would have given the book a perfect rating, but some parts of the book were very boring and highly unnecessary.

I recommend Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell to African-Americans. The lessons in this book are for them. Additionally, this book contains some assertions that might offend Christians, but the author more than made up for them, so I’d still say that anybody can read this book regardless of their religious outlook. However, the book contains a significant number of erotic scenes and profane words. Those who love underworld-themed novels will drool over this book.

Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

This seems really interesting! Great review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to learn more about ghetto jargon :). Thank you for your very insightful review!
JC gull
Currently Reading: Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by JC gull »

Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.
I enjoyed the review looks like another to add to my bookshelf.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

What an interesting premise as JC gull already pointed out - a curious choice of means to achieve an admirable end. This sounds like very much my kind of thrill, especially the legendary Russian mafia.

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

JC gull wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 11:51 Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.
That seems to capture the motivation well.

I enjoyed your thorough review, @Olabode Joshua!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 446
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I am amused by the point which differentiate the underworld with corporate world. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, thanks for your great review. The concept of ghetto and turf war sounds so interesting. I would like to try this book.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This definitely is an interesting book. I actually thought it is an autobiography instead of fiction! The author has done an enormous job creating such a thick book, so that it's still believable. Maybe they could edit the boring parts out? 🤔What do you think, would that help?

Thanks for the insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems to be different and interesting. I think I can give it a try someday. Thanks for you wonderful review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 25 Nov 2020, 05:29 This definitely is an interesting book. I actually thought it is an autobiography instead of fiction! The author has done an enormous job creating such a thick book so that it's still believable. Maybe they could edit the boring parts out? 🤔What do you think, would that help?

Thanks for the insightful review!
Exactly Kirsi!
If they could edit the monotonous parts out along with a few errors then this book will earn a rave review from me and many others.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

The idea of this book sounds quite practical. The title made it seem more of a memoir, although I am still not dissapointed to learn it's fictional. I know ghetto life, and would love to know how someone else pictures it. Will be on the lookout for the book. Great review
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This book seems to have an interesting story and deep characters. Thanks for the detailed review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a unique read, although the monotonous parts may be quite discouraging. Thanks for a great review! :)
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

Despite the few shortcomings you mentioned, Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell sounds like a book built on a really exciting concept. I'm tempted to read it. Thank you for your great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”