Official Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lone Star Odyssey" by David Wilson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lone Star Odyssey: First Steps by David Wilson is a thriller that follows an ex-Marine, Talon Clark. It is the first book in a series. Talon is a contractor and gets a job in Maryland. Leaving his family in Texas, he makes his way to Maryland through Washington DC. Unfortunately, a terrorist attack in the form of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP), over ten years in the making, is executed. Electricity, water, and all digital devices are shut down, which creates a state of anarchy. Talon predicts that things will get worse, especially in big cities like DC. He decides to find his way back to his family in Texas. What will he encounter on this dangerous journey?

The story is entirely written from the perspective of the main character, as he narrates his experiences to the readers. We also get glimpses of his past as a Marine. As someone who has seen his fair share of deaths during active duty, the current situation feels somewhat similar to what he has experienced in the past, and his skill set, especially with guns, means that he stands a good chance of survival. Talon's past also means that he always finds it easy to assume the worst about people and their intentions; this is shown several times when he even goes as far as killing people without asking any questions. However, he shows his kind side when he helps new friends heading in his direction to safety.

The author's descriptive writing shines mostly in action scenes involving guns. The main character's knowledge of guns is highlighted several times, and readers will learn a lot from his survival skills. I picked up on creating fires with petroleum jelly and cotton balls, water purification with bleach, and facts about how long humans can survive without food and water. This was my favorite feature of the book, as I think these lessons can be useful in the future. The book is also full of suspense, as the main character and his friends are always in danger.

The book is not without its flaws, however. Firstly, writing the story in the first-person point of view meant that the story was limited. I could tell that some of the characters had issues with how Talon handled certain situations by killing. While this was touched at some point, the other characters' views weren't fully explored. I also did not like the slow pace of the story, especially with how the characters spent a lot of time gathering supplies for their journey. Furthermore, Lone Star Odyssey: First Steps is not professionally edited. While I could read through the errors, as they were minor errors, they occurred frequently and affected my reading flow.

Overall, Lone Star Odyssey: First Steps is an interesting read, and I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. Unfortunately, the book's editing means that I cannot award the maximum rating. I rate this book 3 out of 4 for its suspense, action, and intriguing main character. Fans of post-apocalyptic and action novels will enjoy reading the book. The profanity included means that the book will not be suitable for a younger audience.

Lone Star Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems interesting. Apparently, there's a lot to learn on here. Good job on the review 👍
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Seems like a nice read filled with suspense and action.
Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You have picked my interest with this thriller. Thank you for the recommendation!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”