Official Review: Blue Pines: by Bobbye Taylor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Blue Pines: by Bobbye Taylor

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Pines:" by Bobbye Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blue Pines: Growing up and Growing Old in Mississippi, by Bobbye Taylor, is a non-fiction memoir and insightful discussion of the progression of Mississippi and the rest of America since the abolishment of slavery. The book journeys through generations of family, alongside moments in history, and provides a very honest account of a life lived by an African-American woman. 

The book begins with the author reminiscing about her beloved grandmother, Mama-Deah. Mama-Deah had a tough childhood, and the story begins when her family is asked to leave their home. The large estate, her parents worked for is to be cleared and the whole family has to move South. Mr. Bordeaux, the seller of the estate provides the family with wagons and horses to help make their way on this long and arduous journey. The destination of Mississippi is chosen, because since the end of the civil war the South is strapped for cash and their previous boss can buy ninety acres of land that becomes their new home.

After a long and tragic journey, the family settles in Peaks and appreciates the invaluable assets of fertile soil, good temperatures and plenty of rain. At thirteen, Mama-Deah returns from a chore, with her dress in tatters and battered and bruised. A white man had attacked her, and nine months later arrives the birth of a light-skinned baby boy. Mama-Deah is married soon after to a man called Plunk, who takes on the child as his own.

Kjelli, the author, remembers her female family members well. They were pivotal in bringing her up to be educationally motivated and to be mindful of her previous generations’ hard work. Kjelli goes to college and forms a successful professional and personal life, but not without overcoming several obstacles due to racism. What she has learned from her life is described, and her opinions on how to make America a better country fill the following pages.

As the author describes her early life, I was struck by the closeness of the female members of the family. From grandmothers to aunts, there is a genuine feeling of closeness and support. I loved how educationally focussed the family were in a time where segregation of schools was common. It was interesting to read that schools that had only black children suffered and were under-resourced. Uniform hand-me-downs were given from white schools, and exercise books were barely readable because of overuse. I can't imagine how hard black children had to work to gain academic results, with no financial support from the government. This example of systemic racism was challenged in the 1950s by new teachers and pro-active fundraisers. It was wonderful to read how thrilled the children were to receive brand new uniforms and proper exercise books for the first time.

Another significant part of the book is the account of ten black people being arrested in 1963. They were arrested for sitting at a segregated lunch counter. It is hard to comprehend that separate utensils, dishes, tables and booths were used to segregate black people from white, with a minimum distance of thirty-five feet. The book is filled with other accounts of racism, which is shocking. The author has captured some progress that has been made, stating we are doing much better, but we are nowhere near ideal, discussing the multitude of problems that still exist. 

There is a powerful sentence that is repeated throughout the book, and it stays in your consciousness after reading, “shackles of oppression, degradation, dehumanization, discrimination, exploitation, immigration, stifle a nation.” This statement is very accurate, and the author discusses some very important topics that are key to moving forward into a racism-free world. Education, good parenting, action on drug and opioid abuse, investigations into the disparities in white and black criminal sentencing, affordable health-care, poverty and equal opportunities are just a few of the fascinating insights covered in the book. 

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I think it is thought provoking, steeped in history, and is very appropriate for the time in which we live. I found nothing to dislike about the book and only found a couple of errors, so I believe it has been professionally edited. There is only very mild sexual content and profanity included, so the book is suitable for adults and young adults. It will appeal to readers who are interested in current and historical issues of racism in Mississippi and America as a whole.

Blue Pines:
View: on Bookshelves
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Memoirs are my absolute favourites. I'm definitely checking this one out. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”