Official Review: Tea and Primroses by Tess Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Official Review: Tea and Primroses by Tess Thompson

Post by Anxious Educator »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson.]
Book Cover for 1645
Share This Review

Summary

Tea and Primroses by Tess Thompson is a realistic, rags-to-riches story saturated with romance along with some mystery thrown in for good measure. It is a deeply moving piece that leads the reader to appreciate the people they love and to hold them close. More than love, though, this book is one of sacrifice and being there for loved ones because, quite frankly, “we are only a moment away from being on our knees.”

Thompson brings us on two journeys at once: that of Sutton and her mother Constance. Constance, a wealthy and accomplished writer, is killed in a hit-and-run accident, leaving Sutton and her ex-lover Declan to deal with the estate. As family and friends gather to say goodbye to the beloved writer, they learn that Constance may have been murdered. Declan and Sutton find a secret manuscript written by Constance, which reveals an entire life few people knew she had. The bulk of Tea and Primroses is straight from Constance’s writing, which, in time, reveals her killer.

When Sutton and Declan are not reading the manuscript and making sense of the revealing story, they are exploring feelings for each other that they had tried to bury for years. You can see where this is going, can’t you?

The Good

The writing is overwhelmingly gorgeous and flowing, and, combined with Constance’s realistic and fascinating story, you'll be engrossed in this novel in no time.There are only a few cringe-worthy sentences that came from the author telling rather than showing.

Constance’s story of struggle tugs at the heartstrings, making me ache for her and all she has lost. Still, despite the hardships, she remains a go-getter. By the end of the book, although she is long dead, I had much respect for this person who never existed in the real world. You also can’t help but adore the parents and friends who help Constance and Sutton through the rough patches in their lives. Even with the dark side of this novel, the many generous, tender characters leave you feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

The Not-So-Good

Two large aspects of Tea and Primroses nagged at me throughout the novel:

1. Sutton’s character. Not only is she fairly helpless, but “she didn’t think too much about anything, deferring often to her mother’s wise and pragmatic opinion.” While Sutton finds her strength in the end, her story is more of a mini, anti-climactic version of her mother’s, which wound up falling flat for me. We also know from the very beginning that she and Declan are still in love, so we’re left waiting for them to stop bickering and hook up already.

2. Helpless women. There is this underlying theme of men (i.e. Declan and Constance’s lover Patrick) needing to protect and boss women around. I made highlight after highlight in my ebook as the men claim to know what is best for the woman and flat out tell them what to do. It isn’t as though the women in this story have no agency or intelligence but that they are obedient to a fault. One sentence reads, “Do not let a lifetime pass without the love of a man who would do anything to be your anchor in a life riddled with uncertainty and loss.” As a happily married woman, I appreciate the support of my husband, but I am certainly not so bold as to believe all woman need a man or that women can’t be in that supportive role themselves.

Rating

Tea and Primroses is a solid 3 out of 4 stars for me. I enjoyed almost every moment, and, for the first time in ages, I felt utterly lost in a book. I would strongly recommend this novel to lovers of romance (but not the soppy kind of romance) and to those who enjoy a story that will touch your heart but not break you down and make you cry (at least not too much).

Buy "Tea and Primroses" on Amazon
Buy "Tea and Primroses" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”