Official Review: The Lost Necklace by Kuljit Mann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Lost Necklace by Kuljit Mann

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Necklace" by Kuljit Mann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Necklace, by Kuljit Mann, is a collection of different short stories, revolving around family ties, marriage, divorce, friendship, depression, lust, domestic abuse, traditions and so on. Consisting of eight chapters and 159 pages, in a philosophical way, it examines its characters' views on life values and why they do what they do. The last story, "The Lost Necklace," where the book got its title, explores the theme of "gender complexes."

I like the way the book unveils many thought-provoking views on priorities and individual happiness. Another of the stories titled "Divorce Party" reveals its characters' perspectives on marriage and divorce, some are in support while some are not, giving their solid reasons. What I like most about the book is that the author shows and does not just tell his stories. With conversations, he expresses his characters' thoughts, values, and the themes of the stories. Each chapter has a beautifully-written heading and a drawing of a necklace before it. I commend the author for providing brief and enough details about the characters, which make them relatable.

However, this publication has a lot to be improved on. The stories have weak plots. There are few happenings, and the author did not include intriguing events. Hence, there are no drama and suspense, only more of conversations. Though I appreciate the author showing and not telling his stories, there should be a good balance between narrative and dialogue. Also, while the stories are short, the descriptions of the settings are somewhat poor. Therefore, I couldn't really picture the characters in their various surroundings.

Furthermore, the book has a lot of awkward sentences, which hinder its flow. It seems like the text was translated from another language into English. It comprises sentences like "Yes, suggest me..." and "Just kidding, I am listening about your cousin." I had to reread most of the sentences to grasp them. Moreover, there are several grammar errors and typos, involving missing words and punctuation errors. The book needs to be professionally edited. Readers who don't like books with the aforementioned flaws may not want to read it. In addition, I suggest that the author should include a table of contents.

In conclusion, I rate The Lost Necklace 2 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it highlights some family issues and will make readers understand why some people act in certain ways, regarding the matters stated in the summary above. Besides, I couldn't rate it higher because of the weak plots and the various grammatical errors in it. I recommend it to readers who like books about family ties and issues.

The Lost Necklace
View: on Bookshelves
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

It's sad that the plots lacks drama, suspense and intrigue. I'll pass on it. Thanks for a detailed & interesting review.
nikechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by nikechi »

I like some of the topics the book talks about, but I would have preferred if the book had more colour to make it more interesting to read.
Thank you for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace reign in the chaos :reading-4:
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I've always been interested in short stories since they are both impactful and enjoyable. So I'm looking forward to this one a lot. Thanks for the review! I enjoyed reading the same.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”