Official Review: CodeY by Lamar Rutherford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: CodeY by Lamar Rutherford

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "CodeY" by Lamar Rutherford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Pele, Radi, and Cole decided to undertake a genetic experiment to determine their genetic spousal matches, they didn't know the extent of the impact this will have on their personal lives. Even more oblivious to them at that point was the level of impact this will have on their close-knit friendship and their young families. When Pele disappears and Radi dies in an accident, it soon becomes evident that the world's safety depends on the success or failure of their pet medical project. What happened to Pele? How is it that a medical school pet project became so relevant in the grand scheme of things?

CodeY by Lamar Rutherford was fun to read. The author spun a fast-moving tale of science and seduction, logic and emotion, and friendship and trust. Given the story's premise, it was apparent from the first page that science and love would interact to create an adventure that will be difficult to put down. The three friends—Pele, Radi, and Cole—sought to marry science with emotion via their medical experiment. The result was an explosive and enthralling adventure with global ramifications.

I enjoyed the friendship and camaraderie between the friends that endured from their days in medical school till even after they were married. This friendship was transmitted to their families and was a significant theme in the story. The author explicitly expressed this friendship through their banter and frequent hangouts together. Besides the way they communicated, their commitment to one another was also reflected in their deeds, and this was what I loved most. An excellent example of this was how they looked after Pele's family when he disappeared and how they took care of Radi's family after his demise.

While I liked the connection between these friends, I think Radi was a bit extreme at times, especially concerning their experiment. His often pedantic disposition toward science almost bordered on the fanatical. This disposition was enough to threaten the relationship between these three friends. My biggest dislike in this story was how the United States was painted as lethargic after the three friends' experiment became a matter of political interest and international terrorism. The government seemed not to recognize the grave threat posed by the ISEX group despite several warnings. They were projected as weak and bogged down by red tape. This made swift action and intervention a bit cumbersome.

I did find some errors that suggested this book wasn't professionally edited. There weren't too many of them for a book that was over 400 pages in length. However, it was the fact that these were elementary errors that formed my opinion on its editing. This book would have deserved a perfect score owing to the story and the theme of friendship explored in the plot. Sadly, I can only give it 3 out of 4 stars due to its lack of professional editing. The other negatives in the book were subjective at best, so I didn't consider them in my rating. I still enjoyed every bit of this novel. I recommend it to any adventure lover who also has a thing for sincere human relationships.

CodeY
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

The premise sounds interesting. Thank you for your thoughtful review as this is one I'm interested in. The pun in the title itself makes me smile, but couldn't tell from your review if the science is believable or not. Still, if it's got a good storyline, it's worth the risk to find out.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have had this book for a while, I will definitely read it. Thank you for sharing your review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I don't wish to have friends like Radi. I'm a firm believer in moderation at every point. Come what may.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”