Official Review: My Name’s Not Jenny by Jeannie Lokey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: My Name’s Not Jenny by Jeannie Lokey

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Name’s Not Jenny" by Jeannie Lokey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are times in life when one has to choose between that which is acceptable and that which is expedient, between what could be done and what has to be done. Joseph, Anna, and Jillian are each very accomplished in their respective careers. But a cruel twist of fate leaves Anna incapacitated and unable to carry out some basic life functions without support. Her ever-devoted husband, Joseph, remains by her side, loving, caring, and supporting her. But for how long will Joseph be willing to put his own life on pause for the sake of love? And what would make a woman as accomplished as Jillian, on the other hand, give up everything to retire into a life of caregiving? Some people's choices can never be fully understood unless you walk a mile in their shoes.

My Name's Not Jenny by Jeannine Lokey was a sober read. It caused me to reflect on the peculiar situations that force people into making seemingly unconventional decisions. A casual observer may not easily understand these decisions, but sometimes they could mean the difference between life and death. For someone to dedicate the rest of his/her life to the care of another is no mean feat. But then, when life gives us lemons, what we make of it is up to us.

The love and devotion between Joseph and his wife, Anna, was very touching. Their union grew from their time as high school sweethearts into a lovely marriage. Theirs was a union that was expected to last till the very end—a match made in heaven. As I read, Joseph's commitment to his wife even as her situation deteriorated seemed to solidify their union's longevity. He did not allow the circumstances of Anna's illness to break him. That really humbled me. I hated that people judged them without attempting to understand their peculiar circumstances.

When Jillian came into the picture, I loved how she was able to make her relationship with Joseph and Anna work. Their circumstances were unique and drew serious disapproval from some of their friends and family members. However, none of them allowed the mitigating circumstances to get in the way of doing what was right. This was friendship, love, and devotion at its apex, and it was the best part of this story for me. There were some irritating moments, though, thanks to Anna. I did not appreciate how she treated her caregivers and loved ones as her health deteriorated. Of course, this was a result of her mental state. Still, it made me feel bad for them.

The only real letdown for me was that I found several typographical and grammatical errors in this book. This made comprehension a tad difficult even though the message of this story was powerful and inspiring. Owing to its lack of professional editing, I can only give it 3 out of 4 stars. The other negatives I found in this story were completely subjective issues, and it wouldn't have been fair—or sensible in any way—to consider them in my rating. I recommend this book to anyone who is in the healthcare industry: nurses and caregivers. Their patients will also find this book informative and inspiring.

My Name’s Not Jenny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Catastrophes that strip us of the use of some essential parts of our bodies and its functions are horrendous. Great review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for the great review. Interesting and detailed
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Sounds like a tragic book. I don't think it's for me. But I'm sure it'll be better appreciated by better suited readers. Thanks for your review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Nice review. This sounds like a story with a sad note.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Jillian has a mind of her own. And that's my take away from this story. Great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”