Official Review: It's All a Question of Perspective

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Official Review: It's All a Question of Perspective

Post by Eutoc »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's All a Question of Perspective" by John Gordon Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We’ve all witnessed some series of events that seemed construed at the start but eventually made sense in retrospect. Those events didn’t seem to make much meaning at the first point because our perspective, at that time, blurred our sense of discernment. It’s All a Question of Perspective by John Gordon Smith is a collection of short stories underpinned by the fact that our understanding of an event largely depends on our initial perspective of it.

The book has a total of twenty-seven short stories. ‘Sibling Wars’ is my favourite of them all. In ‘Sibling Wars’, the focal point of this short story was the rivalry between Billy and his twin brother, Andrew. They competed right from childhood till their fifties. Unfortunately for Billy, Andrew bested him in all their bouts. Many attributed it to Andrew being born an hour earlier than Billy. A certain incidence where Billy was the hero eventually allowed him to tally his brother. Another story of interest is ‘Interview’, where Julian Stringer, a renowned author known for not giving interviews, persistently denied his daughter an interview. What could be the reason for his aversion towards interviews? You’d find out when you read the book.

The fun thing about the short stories is that each of them would still be captivating if they were made into a long stand-alone book. The author’s creativity was unrestrained as each of the stories had unique characters and varieties of unexpected twists. Even though one knew the theme of the book and the possibility of an imminent plot twist, it was difficult to predict the endings of each of the stories. So this kept me on the edge of my seat as the twists emerged. Love, family, relationships and career were among the major areas the book focused on, making it easier for a reader to relate to most of the stories.

I enjoyed the moments I spent reading this piece, mainly because it suits my reading taste. Also, I must commend the professional editing of this collection as I found only a few errors. There isn’t anything to dislike about this book. It’s All a Question of Perspective deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of the uniqueness of the stories.

Most readers wouldn’t have many reasons not to like It’s All a Question of Perspective. More specifically, I would recommend the book to people who enjoy reading short stories irrespective of the underlying theme. Stories like ‘Sibling Wars’, ‘The Paintbrush’ and ‘Interview’ were about family love and union, anyone who enjoys reading such kind of stories should also consider picking up the book.

It's All a Question of Perspective
View: on Bookshelves
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I would love to explore the stories, but I fear they might just be too long, considering we have up to 27 stories. What's the page count? Thanks for the engaging review and recommendation.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow! Such an interesting book to read. I love short stories that wouldn'r bore me. Thanks for a detailed review and recommendations.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I'd probably tolerate this book because it is partitioned into short stories and I can read them in any order. Thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I enjoy reading short stories from time to time. This would probably be right up my alley. Thank you for the great review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Wow, I would love to read this book! It sounds very interesting, I love that it is made up of short stories. Thank you for your review!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Compelling short stories can be hard to find (I'm open to other recommendations, if anyone has some!), so I admire the author for being able to explore so many rich themes in these short stories. Thanks for the review, I'll have to check this book out!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It is interesting how many events are misunderstood; probably having to do with different perspectives, from different people. I like that this book has many stories, that way it is easier to read through. Thanks for your wonderful review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting book with stories that help us to find the right mental attitude to make sense of what happens around us. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Sometimes short stories can be very engaging, especially is they are well written. It seems like this is the case! Thank you for your recommendation and great job!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I like short stories! Only very talented writers can write them well.

Everything is indeed a matter of perspective. Everyone is undergoing something; we should give each other some slack.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What an interesting premise for a collection of short stories. You've made me want to read this with the wonderful rating. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this beautiful review. I think I will definitely enjoy reading it.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

This sounds like a fun read and something perhaps to read while traveling when focusing on a full-length novel is difficult.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I like reading short stories to take a break from reading books well over hundreds of pages. Hence, I'm interested in reading this. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”