Official Review: Phoenix People by Jan Pauw

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Official Review: Phoenix People by Jan Pauw

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Phoenix People" by Jan Pauw.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phoenix People by Jan Pauw is a slow-paced book that recounts Mark’s life from the time he was a teenager to the period he made a fortune and finally how he ended up in prison. Nevertheless, this is not your typical publication; the conversations are predominantly through the exchange of letters between Mark, while in prison, and Katy, a research psychologist. For action-packed lovers, this volume is not for you.

Born to a humble family, Mark Kauffman decides at a young age that he’d change his family’s trend of poverty. His initial interest in the construction business was at the age of 21 years, where he and his friends converted a half-burned house into a lovely home. Fast forward, over 30 years have elapsed, and he’s a self-made billionaire; having accumulated his fortune through his real estate business. Kauffman equally has a dynamic network of friends, business partners, and an adoring family. Tables turn during the 2008 financial crisis, and his wealth crumbles down to bankruptcy and life in prison. Katy sees an opportunity to enhance her career by writing about the success and failure stories of Mark. In contrast, the latter aims at proving he’s a man with a spotless reputation.

I enjoyed some aspects of the book. Mark shares both his pleasant and gloomy sides of the story without shame. As a result, readers can easily learn valuable lessons from both his success and failure stories. Moreover, I found the author’s humor delightful. Jan found a good way to tickle the readers with his humor, even during Mark’s deepest experiences. Furthermore, I found the characters’ unique endeavors relatable. For instance, Mark, Stephen, and a few others converted a half-burned house into a beautiful project. That was Mark’s beginning of his success story.

On the contrary, there were a few aspects I did not enjoy. First, the author’s exchange of letters, as a writing style, became monotonous as the story developed. I’d hoped there’d be more physical contact with the progression of the tale. Also, the work was primarily centered on Mark and Katy. Even the extra characters included did not add much flavor to the book.

I did not detect a single error; therefore, the book is exceptionally well edited. There are a few instances of profanities as Mark elucidates his life story. Besides being a thought-provoking book, it was intriguing and relatable. Nonetheless, the dislikes mentioned above compel me to rate this installment three out of four stars. I recommend it to young people as they may learn a thing or two from the characters’ experiences.

Phoenix People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Marks story seems to be an interesting one though I also agree with you that the style used in writing could prove monotonous. I appreciate that the book deals with a success story and perseverance.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

Just like Mark, most people need to make this decision to step forward from a humble family.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”