Official Review: The Red Sheep by Paul Richardson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Official Review: The Red Sheep by Paul Richardson

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Red Sheep" by Paul Richardson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Red Sheep by Paul Richardson explores some interesting facts about growing up and parenthood. In the process, it affirms that we're the product of our own actions and thought.

One day, Allie faced a barrage of questions from her twelve-year-old daughter, Jessica. Apparently, while going through her late grandma’s, Nan’s, stuff, Jessica had come across an anniversary card mentioning how Nan and Pop had lost their daughter Allie when she was seventeen. Piecing together her mom’s disappearance then and the subsequent mysterious circumstances of her birth, Jessica’s current questions attempt to make sense of some incidents that are increasingly happening to her in and out of school.

Two years prior, a conversation with her grandpa, Pop, had confirmed to Jessica that none of her family members had red hair. The fact that she’d later become a victim of bullying at school over her red hair had only intensified her yearning to know something about her real father. As if that wasn’t enough, her friends talked about drugs and sex all the time; she, thus, wanted to know whether drugs compelled someone to want to have sex, especially considering that she knew a girl in grade nine who slept around with multiple partners.

This book appealed to me because it focused on social problems currently facing the youth, such as misuse of drugs and alcohol, bullying, and sexual risk behaviors that could lead to sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies. Furthermore, as a parent, I liked the warm relationship that Allie had nurtured with her daughter, Jessica. This encouraged Jessica to talk openly about problems that she was encountering at school. At the same time, this was also a good opportunity for Allie to use her experience in counseling Jessica on the issues she was facing.

Moreover, I found the book informative in highlighting the mental damage that can result when unsupervised adults brainwash kids under their care. Jessica happened to have a close relationship with her know-it-all Pop, who, sometimes, had no qualms ranting expletives whenever he felt offended. Regardless, Pop had this habit of regularly sharing with Jessica his wild views on religion without considering her parent’s opinion on it.

On the flip side, the book needs some reworking to eliminate multiple incidents of editing errors in it (over ten errors identified). Because of this weakness, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Finally, I recommend this coming-of-age novel to readers who are looking for a shocking and thrilling experience because of the multiplicity of raw human emotion and ambition featured therein. As a further guidance, I think there is more introspection than laughter in this story. At the same time, it’s less suited to individuals with strong views on religion, sex, and profanity.

The Red Sheep
View: on Bookshelves
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

A book that focus on current problems faced by the youth today is a must read.
Your review is thoughtful and descriptive.
Thank you!!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I like the topics this book explores. Parenting is so complex and I like that this story explores that. I really enjoyed reading your review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like it deals with the many complex issues that face our young people today, and as a parent of a teenager myself, it's scary. I like the warm relationship aspect the book appears to show between Allie and Jessica. Thank you for your great review!
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful review. As a new parent myself, I find it so important to explore the above mentioned topics with my daughter as she enters adolescence.
Sejall7_
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sejall7.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Sejall7_ »

I really wish I had the chance to read this book when I was in my early teens! We need such novels in today's generation. I feel it's important for the youth to let their parents in. They should be able to express themselves to them. And it appears that the author has portrayed it's significance in the relationship between Allie and Jessica. Thank you for this incredible review !
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I appreciate that the book tackled such difficult yet very real problems and topics. These things can lead us down the wrong path if not properly talked about and explained by a guardian. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the review. This seems to be an important book. The problems mentioned are very important, and parents need to be aware of them.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

This seems like both an emotional and enlightening read. The title drew me in to read your review, and I was not disappointed by your description of the contents of the book in relation to the title. Thank you for your review.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Problems faced by the youth sometimes seem like they are not being addressed enough and it is books like these that restore hope that someone out there sees what is happening and wants to educate people on it. I feel this book will be very helpful to me as a parent.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Kids and teenagers can be easily manipulated, so this book tackles some important issues. Great review, I would like to read the book!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the review. Its indeed a current scenario where children will be exposed to all sorts of stuff . To make the kids comfortable in sharing stuff is most important. The Red sheep sounds like a book that steps into the midst of the problems from Allie's view.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book sounds like it has a lot going on, in a good way. I appreciate all the issues that the book addresses. It's too bad about the errors. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I hope Jessica got all the answers to her questions. Thanks for reviewing
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”