Official Review: Transfigured: The Spirit Realm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Transfigured: The Spirit Realm

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transfigured: The Spirit Realm" by K. Lewis-Monk.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Could you picture yourself spending almost your whole adult life in prison? In Transfigured: The Spirit Realm, written by K. Lewis-Monk, readers follow protagonist Eleazar Daniels, a death row inmate incarcerated since he was twenty years old, as he faces this harsh reality. In his soul-searching journey to find his true self and overcome his many obstacles and challenges, Eleazar becomes a spirit warrior called Inner City. Aided by an angel named Red, he fights to make peace with his tumultuous past.

As the book progresses, it describes the protagonist's spiritual journey as he discovers a metaphorical spiritual realm, a place where spiritual battles are fought. Eleazar finds out that there’s a place (aka “the Space”) where angels fight to bring answers to people’s prayers, and demons try to impede them. Eventually, humans like the protagonist get to join angels on this front. This is what happens to Eleazar as he surrenders to Christianity, and through prayer, he discovers a new world.

What I liked the most about this book was its message of redemption and hope. Its characters are highly flawed, but they do not give up on their journey to become better. I particularly appreciated a female character named Benaiah Mann, who falls in love with the protagonist and helps him in his redemptive journey. Benaiah is a DA who is working to prosecute Eleazar’s son, Joshua, a criminal who is involved in drug, sex, and weapon trafficking. Benaiah’s sister, Azariah, was also an interesting character.

On the other hand, speaking of negatives, I found the writing style a bit simplistic and monotonous. With almost 600 pages, the book is lengthy, and the story drags at times, making it a rather laborious read. This aspect was what I disliked the most. The focus on the spiritual realm was interesting but slightly overdone, with lengthy descriptions of battles. I kept wishing the author gave readers a deeper and more realistic peek inside the mind of convicted murder, and I think this could have enriched the narrative.

Lastly, I found quite a few editing errors in the book, which included spelling and grammatical mistakes; it needs another round of editing. Unfortunately, the editing errors detracted a bit from my reading experience. For this reason and also for the simplistic and somewhat dry narrative, I am taking two stars away from the rating. Therefore, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Nonetheless, I would recommend it to readers who value Christianity and prayer. I believe it might not appeal to less religious readers, though.

Transfigured: The Spirit Realm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

The name of the book intrigued me, and when I read this review it turned out to be much different than some of the novels I was thinking it would be similar to. I like how this author incorporated Christianity and prayer into a rough fictional world. Thank you for your review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

The message of redemption and hope that most people would need at some point of their lives. Nice review
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”