Official Review: The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Official Review: The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog" by Kenneth Allen Cructhfield,Sr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever desired to read an engaging fiction novel about failed dreams, family curses, contrasting personalities, and the transience of hope? If yes, The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog, by Kenneth Allen Crutchfield, is the right book for you.

John Coleman is the head of the Coleman family. A braggart musician, John never hesitated to blame his family for his misfortune, as he lamented that his commitment to his family prevented him from becoming great in music. He desires to make his sons great drummers and sees an opportunity to fulfill his failed dreams through them. Mary, his wife, comes from a family with a long history of mental illness and anger issues. This illness trickles down to the lives of some of her children, such as Lucille and John. Not only this, she is a woman deeply steeped in old-fashioned tradition, as she does not desire to work or earn income. This lack of motivation to work becomes a point of constant friction throughout the book, as John bemoans her incapacity to help him with financial obligations.

Further down the line, a tragic incident strikes the family that threatens to be the last straw that disintegrates the already fragile seams of a precarious family. Will the Coleman family be able to stand firm and come out victorious in the face of adversity? Find out by reading this intriguing fiction novel.

This book has a lot of positive aspects. Firstly, the plot is intriguing and captivating. Despite the extensive length of this book, I found myself deeply engrossed in its plot right till the very last page. Furthermore, the characterization is impressive, as all the characters are dynamic and distinct. One will easily discover that each character is unique, bearing distinct strengths and weaknesses. This dynamic characterization makes this book appear realistic.

In addition, as the plot progresses, we witness the gradual evolution of the characters. John Jr. becomes more aggressive and violent. He struggles to break free from the control of his father. He also battles with the mental illness which pervades his mother's family. Debra, the youngest female child, becomes rebellious after an unfortunate incident, where she was mercilessly beaten by her mother. The reader will enjoy following these characters through their processes of evolution.

I found nothing to dislike about this book. However, readers may not appreciate the extensive length of it. I found a few errors, which can be corrected with another round of editing. Hence, this book was professionally edited. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars due to all the positive aspects listed above. I recommend The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog, by Kenneth Allen Crutchfield, to everyone who enjoys reading intriguing fiction novels.

The 'GREAT' Kickin' Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Finally a book which shows a realistic side of a family. Every reader will be able to relate to some of the characters. Thanks for the review.
Olakunle O 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olakunle-o-1.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Olakunle O 1 »

This is a book to be reread as many times as possible. And I am sure that readers would be satisfied and have a worth for the time reading, and money spent on buying the book. Thanks, this is a good review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Unfortunately, you see the parent trying to live their lives through their children in some parents today, which usually leads to resentment. This sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

That sounds like a lot for one family to have to go through. Is it too much to hope for a happy ending? Great review, thanks.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The theme of the book itself is quite important. Adding an intriguing plot and character development only speaks well of the author's writing expertise. Thanks for writing a greatly comprehensive review of this work!
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I love family drama, and this sounds like an intense and interesting one. I'll love to check it out. On a lighter note, the title of this book is quite unusual.
Thank you for this intriuging review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Okay, this book is very interesting!
Thanks for the review.
I like the themes that are featured in this book.
However, I am intimidated by the book's length.
How long did it take you to read it?
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is an intriguing family saga that draws you in with their relatable struggles and problems. I love the way you have described the characters. This is a captivating review. Great writing!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

That is a stimulating review. It compels me to read this book ASAP. The beatings and the emotional trauma that the parents seem to bring upon their children seem saddening.It is, however, a depressing truth that it actually happens in alot of households. Thanks for a detailed review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

The development of characters is such a pivotal point for a good book. It sounds like the author did really well in that, in making everyone slowly angrier and madder. Thanks for the great review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

The plot sounds totally difficult from other fictional books. The cover of this book is unique too. You selected the great book to review. Thank you for the beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”