Official Review: The Long Walk Home by J H Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Official Review: The Long Walk Home by J H Johnson

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Long Walk Home" by J H Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Long Walk Home by J.H. Johnson is an adventure novel. The 21-chapter book contains the themes of family, courage, leadership, and uncertainty.

Van Dearing, a Ventura County Sheriff and war veteran, is thrown into the most unlikely situation when the earth suddenly experiences a major solar event. The earth had been hit by a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection). Electricity and electronic devices are out; it is like the Stone Age once again. Van, who is on a camping trip with two of his kids, Taylor and Charlie, knows they cannot survive. He then decides they must walk the 420miles back home. There he could rely on the well-equipped farmland he inherited to get his family through this period. He establishes a connection with a military base and is determined to direct as many people as he can find to safety. Some people decided to join his group back to their respective homes. They were faced with food shortages, treacherous roads, and many other challenges. Read this book to find out how Van handles this unexpected turn of events.

I love how the plot is direct and easy to follow. The story was written from the lead character’s point of view but with an occasional view from other characters. The author was detailed in his description of each scene. There were no unexplained time jumps.

My favorite character is Van. He is a strong and symbolic leader. I loved how he rose to the challenge of leading different people back home. He was stern with his decisions sometimes but selfless. I also loved the dogs; their actions were sometimes hilarious. Even though I have never been a fan of dogs, the author made me fall in love with them. Another character I liked was Jack, who Van met at the campsite; his curiosity was unbelievable.

The book has a level of realism that compels readers to think about life, humanity, and survival. This question comes to mind, “can we survive without the technology we have come to rely on deeply?” The suspense was well managed. I like how the writer shows that situations are not easily predictable. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

There is nothing I dislike about the book. The severe nature of the plot was complemented with light-hearted humor. The dialogues and characters were also well developed.

In conclusion, I recommend the book to lovers of adventure novels. I walked away from the book wanting more. I will be glad to pick up a sequel to this fantastic novel. The book was well edited, as I found a few errors that did not distract my reading experience.

The Long Walk Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Emmanuel Luyakha
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Emmanuel Luyakha »

That was a very nice review. Keep it up. I'll have to go through the book since am also a fan of adventure.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Books on survival are my go-to!
This is the novel that I've been looking for for ages.
I remember a scenario about solar flares that almost hit the Earth.
A classmate told me about it, so I'm not sure if it was made-up or real.
Thank you for the awesome review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

The idea of the book and the plot are very unique I haven't stumble upon something similar, so the curiosity in me is awoken. Great review.
Tonikun2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonikun2020.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Tonikun2020 »

Lovely review, will certainly add to my shelf. Adventures are my go to books.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”