Official Review of Scorn of Secrets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review of Scorn of Secrets

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scorn of Secrets" by B. Truly.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly is a young adult novel that tells the story of one teenager’s life-changing experiences. Madison was always a daddy’s girl, but she is left feeling out of place with her mom and sister when her father’s debt and gambling addiction leads to his murder. With no funds to survive, Madison’s mother quickly takes the opportunity to pack up the family and move in with her new boyfriend in Houston. Moving on without her father is hard, but Madison is prepared to deal with a new home in a new state. What she didn’t expect to find was the love of her life within the walls of her new home. She also didn’t expect her new home to become the setting for her worst nightmare.

I would describe this book as a realistic drama disguised as a romance. If there was anything in the book that I didn’t like, it was the romance part. Although it’s not technically incest, getting into a relationship with a potential step-sibling is just something I’m not super comfortable with, so I have to caution readers right from the beginning that such a theme is strong in this book. There are also pretty graphic scenes of sexual assault that might be triggering or traumatizing for some readers. Because of this, I think that this book is only suitable for older or more mature teens.

Though it is a fictional story, it is easy to believe that this could be based on a true story. The characters are very realistic, and I especially enjoyed the portrayal of the relationships between Madison, her mother, and her sister. Though Madison’s sister and mother were quite close with each other, Madison was more of the black sheep, and their relationships only became more diminished when Madison merely reached out to them for support. I think that many young readers can relate to this feeling of not fitting in within your own home, and finding more support from friends than from those supposedly closest to you.

While I absolutely adored the story (romance aside), there was still something that felt a little off about the pacing of the book. More than one year passes throughout the span of the story, and a lot of major events take place within the last few chapters of the book. This is a big contrast to the first half of the book, which progressed at a much slower pace. While much character development and set-up for the main plot points took place at the beginning, the ending felt a little too rushed in comparison. There is also not a strong conclusion to the story, with the expectation that there will be a sequel to this book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I loved most of the characters and the (non-romantic) relationships between them. The events are believable and filled with suspense that kept me reading for hours. I wasn’t a huge fan of the romance nor the inconsistent pacing of the book, but I still enjoyed the book as a whole. I recommend this book to mature young adults who enjoy realistic fiction. There are lots of instance of profanity and a couple of disturbing graphic scenes. With only nine very minor errors throughout the book, the writing itself is decent as well.

Scorn of Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a believable story with a rushed ending. Madison is finding comfort in others as her life has changed and the dream just turned into a nightmare. You've written a great review! And, I am hoping to read this story soon.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

This book reminds me of the basis of every big series that came up last year. I'm not a big fan of this type of book but I liked your review and the approach you took with it. Great job.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is a book that may trigger some readers, so thank you for warning us early on about what to expect early on.
I guess the ending will be a major cliffhanger for me, and I might consider not reading it for now.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I read this one and I agree to what what you said about the romantic relationship. I also felt like the pace was a bit off. It’s not my cup of tea, but you made it sound interesting I wondered if we’ve read the same book. :lol2:
“Just keep swimming.”
Mishkah Simons DeVos
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishkah-simons-devos.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mishkah Simons DeVos »

I like the storyline and the name of the book is intriguing. I appreciate you mentioning that the book contains sensitive content, I think that is always important to note. Thanks for your review 🌻
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I'm curious about the book, and I want to see how Madison deals with her sexual assault with no help from her family. I think I know who the culprit is, and I want to confirm if my guess is correct. I don't know how I feel about step-siblings romance either, so I'd just have to read a bit and find out. Thank you for the detailed review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting young-adult urban fantasy fiction novel highlighting a dysfunctional family, stepsiblings, and one teenager’s life-changing experiences. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

This isn't my type of story, so I'll take a pass on reading it. Nevertheless, it's obvious from the few pages that I read that the author has a fine writing style, particularly in providing the characters with good, realistic dialogue. Congratulations to B. Truly for achieving BOTD honors.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

This seems like a really interesting story and the reviewer has portrayed the plot fantastically. I'm intrigued about it now. Thanks for the amazing review.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A romantic young adult novel "Scorn of Secrets" by B. Truly, which tells us the story of Madison's life-changing experiences, when her father passed away. The story looks like an engaging read.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like how realistic this book seems. However, the almost incestuous relationship puts me off from wanting to give it a chance.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is an express presentation of reality. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a book about hope and positivity. It’s a story about Madison who is left alone to fight her fears after her family tragedy.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

Wonderful! I like such young adult novel books telling of life changing experiences young people have gone through. It's through them that we learn more about life and avoid the mistakes they may have made. Bravo!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”