Review of A Man Called Stan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of A Man Called Stan

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Man Called Stan" by Jay Henning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stan was dissatisfied with the state of his life, and the emptiness he feels drives him to behave in dysfunctional ways. Apart from not having words to express himself when he is upset, Stan seems to have no control over his reaction to the "wrong attitudes" of those around him. For example, he was unable to maintain a good attitude toward his sister and his in-laws. With this state of his life, will any relationship succeed around him?

His turmoil continued even at the age of 30. His life seems out of control. His job seemed to be the only consolation for him. But since he met Anne, would his story change? Will love give him the respite he needs, or is happiness an illusion for men like Stan?

From childhood, manhood, and then to old age, the author, Jay Henning, walked the reader through the life of Stan. Stan's experiences will arouse a lot of reactions from any reader. Some parts of his story will likely cause the reader to smile, laugh, sympathize with him, and frown. This book, A Man Called Stan, will open the reader's eyes to see a part of life that is hard to see.

I immensely liked the author's ability to draw out life-long lessons from the chaos that was in Stan's life. An instance of such a lesson was seen where Stan's spiritual guide taught him that life satisfaction would not be derived from external factors but must come from within. Also, another thing I considered positive was the author's sense of humor found in the dialogues between the characters. I was amused at Fred and Stan's banters in several instances. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's expression of the theme of friendship in the book.

But there were some issues in the book that almost disturbed my reading. One of those issues was the disorganized state of the book. The events in the book were hard to follow because they were not arranged to help the reader understand and follow the story correctly. Chapter one showed us a bit of Stan's daily life, but the second chapter backtracked into his past relationship. The arrangement of the occurrences seems to be lacking an order.

I found some errors while I was reading the book, but these errors were not many. Therefore, I did not lose my euphoria as a result of the grammatical errors. Consequently, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the book still appears professionally edited. I feel it is worth a perfect rating since the author was able to capture a lot of valuable lessons from the life of Stan.

I recommend this book to those who can relate to the unconventional situations of life. If you enjoy character-based books, then this one is also for you. Finally, this book will be suitable for mature readers because of its sexual content and profanity.

A Man Called Stan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

As this book is based on mental health, I'm gonna pick it soon. I think so, most of us ignore any man's mental health, which makes me feel sad about them. I believe our society should give more importance to man's mental health. Thank you for your review , you had written it beautifully.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I'm really interested to read Stan's journey and see what life lessons he learns along the way. The lack of organization is unfortunate, but I still will probably give this book a try. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”