Review of Stealing Ali

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review of Stealing Ali

Post by Eriny Youssef »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stealing Ali" by William and Daisy Serle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Maggie Alvarez didn't have the easiest of childhoods. Growing up with divorced parents, attending a boarding school, and marrying at the age of eighteen shaped her character. She grew to be a loving, caring, and responsible mother. Out of her three marriages, the second one changed her life in measures she didn't anticipate. Maggie's second husband and Allison's father, Joe Zayyat, was a Lebanese engineer who had several extracurricular businesses that Maggie never knew about. After their marriage ended due to shortcomings from Joe's end, Maggie married Lee Elres and the newlyweds returned from their honeymoon to Joe's unforeseen gift: stealing Ali.

Joe's work spanned across many countries including London, the United States, Lebanon, and Bahrain. The book follows Maggie's and Lee's efforts to bring Ali home to the United States. The already problematic attempt only gets worse when Joe decides to keep Ali in Beirut. From Lebanon to Bahrain, we follow the schemes Joe devised, the workarounds the Elres' tried, and the lucky incidents that made the impossible possible. The book covers themes like obsessive love, parental neglect, abuse of power, and others.

Stealing Ali by William and Daisy Serle is set in the 1970s and 1980s. What I liked the most is that the book viewed the world at that time from legal and cultural standpoints. The newly established countries at that time like the UAE, Bahrain, and Abu Dhabi were unknown to people from the other side of the world. For one thing, it was thought that Abu Dhabi is in India. It was also equally interesting to know how the main characters reacted to the cultural differences they encountered in that part of the world. Due to the nature of their trips, these differences ranged from the way people dressed and what they ate to how their court system worked.

What I didn't like is that some notions about the "exotic" cultures might come across as factual when they were only the opinions of some characters. Also, I found some parts concerning the logistics of the trips and the details of the daily activities to be lengthy, especially towards the end of the book. I understand this was needed to give a full account of the hardship and the arduous journey they went through, but I believe some repetitious details could've been excluded.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The main reason for deducting the fourth star is the presence of some editorial errors in the text. Those errors didn't affect the communication of the events or the dialogue. However, the text could use another round of proofreading.

Stealing Ali should appeal to readers who enjoy eventful novels. It should also be entertaining to those interested in language and culture. It is very informative because although it's a work of fiction, the story is based on real events. The book contains explicit descriptions of sexual intercourse and some profanities. Taking this into account along with the novel's underlying theme of parental child abduction, it is probably more suitable for the mature audience.

Stealing Ali
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

The story of this book is very interesting. There are more and more multi-cultural marriages, and sometimes they don’t end up so well. Sometimes the parents even steal their children. Even though this story is fictional, I suppose it is realistic enough. Thank you for the insightful review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Sounds like a very different read. I will skip it due to the graphic scenes, profanity, and parental neglect. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I can see on the cover it is written “Based on a true story” if I'm not wrong. I think so it will be exciting read. I want to know with whom Ali ended up. Thank you for your amazing written review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It is always important to read these kind of stories, especially if they're based on real life. Thank you for the great review!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Kirsi_78 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 10:25 The story of this book is very interesting. There are more and more multi-cultural marriages, and sometimes they don’t end up so well. Sometimes the parents even steal their children. Even though this story is fictional, I suppose it is realistic enough. Thank you for the insightful review!
Yes, true. The story is based on real events. It's crazy the magnitudes it takes when cultures are intertwined in a marriage. Both good and bad, though. Thanks for rrwding the review!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

cd20 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 13:40 Sounds like a very different read. I will skip it due to the graphic scenes, profanity, and parental neglect. Thank you for an informative review.
Yes, always choose what's good for you to read. Thanks for stopping by!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Urvashi Tripathi wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 07:15 I can see on the cover it is written “Based on a true story” if I'm not wrong. I think so it will be exciting read. I want to know with whom Ali ended up. Thank you for your amazing written review.
Yes, it's based on real events. The names and some details were altered, but other than that it truly did happen. Crazy.
Thank you for reading the review!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

marba wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 05:43 It is always important to read these kind of stories, especially if they're based on real life. Thank you for the great review!
I agree! Thank you for reading it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”