Review of Monkey's Can't Sell Bananas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Monkey's Can't Sell Bananas

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monkey's Can't Sell Bananas" by Seni Marquis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monkeys Can’t Sell Bananas is a fictional novel by Seni Marquis. It centers on a young high school student whose appearance gave him up as being older. This teenager’s name is Kamar Johnson, but people usually call him KJ. He seems to have a promising future in the sports of basketball. However, being an errand boy for a drug dealer, surrounded by a junkie mother, a drug dealer step-dad, and friends and acquaintances engaged in different vices, his dreams appear to be farfetched, and his future as a player seems bleak. His job as an errand boy, however, changes when he becomes ambitious.

Kamar’s clique of friends are B-love, Dada, Ace, and Rob. These friends had distinct qualities; good, bad, funny, amazing, and off-putting. Just like friends do, they had fun and did a lot together. Everything changed when one of them crossed a line that was too hard to be forgiven by the other. As a result, albeit partly, deceit, lies, depression, desperation, deaths, and bloodshed becomes the order of the day.

I appreciated the character development of this book. The way the author introduced characters and linked them to past and present events appealed to me, and it is likely to get other readers amazed. Furthermore, I always try to note lessons in any book I read, no matter how entertaining it may be. The most apparent for me in Monkeys Can’t Sell Bananas is the power our environment, peers, and occurrences in our lives have on us. Of course, I always believed that certain factors, other than one's efforts or intelligence, can affect one. But I understood this from another perspective. However, I believe that if one has a great support system, these factors may have no hold on one. Read this book and form your opinion.

I observed that the author showed the major character recounting certain events that led to his state of life. I felt it was unnecessary because the reader already knew about them. This is merely an observation and didn’t affect my overall appreciation of this book.

At the end of the book, the author added its sequel, which was just a few chapters. After reading for a moment, I was left wondering whether that was the end of the book or just part of the sequel. I had to believe it was the latter since there were many unresolved issues.

The errors in this book are not so much, and as such, it was professionally edited. Due to the lessons spread all over this book and my opinions of it, I’m led to give it a perfect rating of four out of four stars.

Anyone can read this book, asides from underage people, because of the adult content in it. Specifically, if you’d love an entertaining and educating read and won’t mind explicit scenes, this book is for you.

Monkey's Can't Sell Bananas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

The book title got me,I thought it's a fable. The book Sounds interesting. Thanks for the charming review.
Jeanabel Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanabel-ramos.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Jeanabel Ramos »

I like this review, very honest and bold. I would like to read this book.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Monkeys can't sell bananas This title is catchy and the story is educational and entertaining. It's a good blend to read. I am adding it to my want to read shelf. Thank you for an awesome review!
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

As you mentioned, the environment is extremely important, the effort often brings us achievements but without the conditions to hold them we are left with nothing. The book catches my attention, excellent review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I'd love to know what became of Kamar's dreams of becoming a player. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”