Review of Children of Violence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Re: Review of Children of Violence

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

As someone who firmly believes that a child's upbringing will define who they become as a person, this is a book that I want to read. Thanks for the heads-up about the swearing and the use of '******'. Having been called that all my life I'm immune to it now, and will still read this book. Thanks so much.
Minslet A Avagalwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minslet-a-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Minslet A Avagalwa »

Being raised in violence isn't an option anyone would go for if given the chance to choose. I would love to read Children of Violence by Luke Gherardi and learn from the stories of Maria, Cole etc. Congratulations on the BOTD.
ReadingMomma80
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ReadingMomma80 »

Thank you for the insightful and thorough review. I appreciate knowing about the use of profanity and sensitive topics. This isn’t a book for me - the subject matter is an uncomfortable one for me to delve into - but, I do think it’s an important subject to take on for those who can make it through the sensitive material.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 61%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Children of Violence” by Luke Gherardi is a story about how children raised in violence survive. Are they scarred for life? Can they live a normal life? I immediately thought of mob families but this book goes so much further to include robbery, murder, suicide, prostitution, parental abuse and child molestation. The book follows eight characters and examines how their lives are impacted by violence. While this is a book of fiction, there are thousands and maybe millions of children that have been raised in a violent home or have been exposed to violence during their childhood. I would like to read the entire book but per the official review the flow of the book is hard to follow. This is definitely a book for adults because of profanity spoken to children, the LGBQT content and the religious aspects. Very good review.
Emma Jane Grey
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Transforming Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-jane-grey.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Emma Jane Grey »

While the book’s contents re what happens to kids raised in violence is something I might be interested in reading normally, the writing style in the sample really didn’t appeal to me, and the reviewer’s warning that the contents might be offensive to the LBGTQ community also definitely puts me off reading any further into this one.
:reading-4:

Emma (she/her)

“… it is enough to exist in the world and marvel at it. You don’t need to justify that, or earn it. You are allowed to just live. That is all most animals do.” ~ Becky Chambers, A Psalm for the Wild-Built
Emmanuel Abiodun Olutayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Emmanuel Abiodun Olutayo »

This book is interesting. The main theme of violence is a matter of great concern. The author did a great job. Great review.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 555
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

There is no scarcity of violence in the world now, and this fictional novel fabulously portrays the lives of violent individuals who were once the victims of violence.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

The way children are raised can profoundly shape who they become in the future. Every action and experience around them leaves an impact. Gracie seems to be a kind girl. I'm curious to see how her life turns out after the incident. Congrats on BOTD!
Hasani Piyumika Perera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Alpha Buddies Land
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasani-piyumika-perera.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Hasani Piyumika Perera »

'Children of Violence' by Luke Gherardi takes you on a journey through the lives of Gracie, Maria, Ron, Ramon, Cole, Randy, Reeves, and Lee, all impacted by violence in various forms. Luke Gherardi skillfully weaves humour into the darkness, making characters feel real. Dive into this novella's world, where reality and profanity collide.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

The sample was captivating from the start and I was rather disappointed when the sample ended. I'm definitely getting this book soon enough. I feel that if the author wanted to reveal the hard ugly truth of children growing up in violent situations, he definitely nailed it. This book is definitely not for the faint hearted but an eye opener that not all children grow up in cozy surroundings. Thanks for an excellent review yet again Bertha. Your reviews are always perfect.
Islam Elfaiuomy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Islam Elfaiuomy »

This book explores violence through stories, and the good news is that it teaches readers about the harmful effects of violence against children and how it can impact their future. However, the bad news is that this book may not be suitable for all readers, especially those who are sensitive or young.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Children of Violence follows the lives of different persons that have been impacted and whose lives were determined by violence.
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

Child abuse is a profoundly serious issue that has a lasting impact on a child's entire life and their thought processes. This book effectively addresses this critical concern. However, the excessive use of profanity in the text may deter me from reading it. Thank you for providing a clear and informative review.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I'm willing to give this I read because I'm drawn to books that are composed of shorter stories. These topics delve into tough themes that many may find harsh but it's necessary to read and learn from it. Children are truly the future and they need all the love and support from their guardians so that they send love back into the world. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Huma Pandya
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huma-pandya.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Huma Pandya »

"Children of Violence" by Luke Gherardi" It's helpful to get an overview of the book's content and your thoughts on it. It sounds like the novella deals with some very intense and sensitive themes related to violence and its impact on individuals. Your review highlights both positive and negative aspects of the book, which can be valuable for potential readers to consider. Your recommendation for mature adults and the content warnings you provided are also useful for readers to make an informed decision about whether this book is suitable for them.

Your review suggests that the author effectively portrayed the impact of violence on the characters and developed them well. However, the excessive use of profanity and the book's organization posed some challenges for you. Your final rating of 3 out of 4 stars indicates that, overall, you found value in the book despite its drawbacks. This well-balanced review will help others decide if this book aligns with their preferences and interests.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”