Review of The Quarterback Sacked by Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of The Quarterback Sacked by Love

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Quarterback Sacked by Love" by Rogin Radocha.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Casen Walls is a quarterback who plays for the Philadelphia Golden Eagles. They lost the last season, and Casen blames himself for being preoccupied at the time with his cheating ex-fiancée. As he goes to London for the new season, Casen is determined to move on, and most importantly, win. He doesn’t want any drama to spoil his team’s success once again. But drama seems to follow him wherever he goes, as his ex-fiancée’s new partner shows up as the quarterback for the opposing team. Moreover, during a night out in London, Casen meets a girl, and a mere one-night stand becomes something more.

Collins Baker is a reporter who aspires to advance his writing career. Collins’ boss tells her that if she wants a promotion, she must write a story about Casen Walls’ personal life. But will Collins be able to write this report, or will she let her feelings get in the way of her ambition?

The Quarterback Sacked By Love is an erotic novel by Rogin Radocha. The story is simple but engaging. It does not ask too much from the reader, making this book a perfect read solely for its entertainment value. Occasionally, I do love stories like this. However, there were objective criticisms I needed to raise. The first problem lies with the fact that the shift of perspectives between the two characters happens way too quickly. After a paragraph of Collins’ point of view, another from Casen quickly follows. It isn’t a very appealing storytelling technique, especially when it causes the reader to religiously check the previous page to know whose character perspective it is she’s following.

Second, the dialogues lack sharpness that will make the reader feel and root for the characters. For example, when the two characters met for the first time, the author only gave us a summary of their conversation. The reader did not know how the actual conversation went, which was disappointing. In connection, another thing I dislike is the author’s tendency to tell more than to show. Apart from saying that the conversation between the two characters flows smoothly, the author should also show how they actually communicate.

On the other hand, one positive thing about this book is the entertainment it provides. Some scenes can be comical, dramatic, and sweet. The climax offers drama that is both thrilling and satisfying. I also like the fact that Casen and Collins have experiences that they can both relate to each other. Their experience in the past was the thing that brought them together, and I liked it. Although this aspect still wasn’t executed perfectly, I appreciated the author’s attempt to explore emotional intimacy alongside the sexual one.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars owing to the objective flaws in the narrative. The book wasn’t professionally edited, as I came across plenty of minor errors. Due to the merits I have previously mentioned, I decided not to deduct any more stars. The book is rife with steamy scenes, so I am sure that fans of the genre would still find this book enjoyable regardless of its flaws. I would also recommend this book to those who are looking for a light, steamy novel that is possible to finish in one sitting.

The Quarterback Sacked by Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a light reading for Valentine's Day. : Nice review!
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

Great review! Would definitely pick this one if in the mood for a light read.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I like novels that could be read in one sitting. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”