Review of Cape Henry House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Cape Henry House

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cape Henry House" by Jolly Walker Bittick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cape Henry House by Jolly Walker Bittick is a wild, funny, and incredulous tale of a gang of young men (and women) living out their lives to the fullest. The group finds a particular house on Cape Henry Avenue that becomes more than just an abode; it becomes a place where unforgettable memories and moments are created. This special place offers much more than respite; friendships are tested, prejudice is broken, and love is found. The happenings in Cape Henry House are a toast to the American dream of bravery and freedom — a glimpse into the partying scene of young adults coming of age.

Cape Henry House embodies the YOLO lifestyle, but that is not all there is to it. It isn't all fun and games. Embedded in the story's fabric are young people trying to find their way through the throes of life. Through the mistakes of youth, risk-taking, and wild adventures, each character has to deal with their shortcomings and each other's unique setup. Their experiences become another glue that binds the gang even closer and creates an avenue for future adventures.

The events of this book were funny as they were wild. There were various characters in the book, and once I got past remembering who was who, I became invested in their stories. These characters were unique, with their various quirks. A lot of swearing and good mature jabs were used throughout this book. For readers who are familiar with the young American party lifestyle, this book might bring back memories. For readers new to the scene, it is an exciting and intriguing world to explore.

The narrative is sectioned into chapters with defining titles. However, due to the number of characters in this book, it might take time to differentiate who is who.

The only thing that dented the book was the poor editing. There were so many errors involving grammar, spelling, formatting, and sentence structure. For example, on page 166, the ending of line six was broken up, and it continued on the following line; this is an editing error that would need to be corrected, along with the other spelling errors and redundant words.

I recommend this book to readers who want to read something easy-going and fun. It is not a very deep tale, but perhaps readers who have had similar experiences can connect with the events therein. Readers who are curious about the American party scene will also find this book apt. Finally, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. One point is deducted for the errors.

Cape Henry House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I would love to read this humorous book. It's just a book I would like to enjoy reading. It's bad that the book is edited poorly. I'll wait for proper edited one. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”