Review of A Narrow Lane and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of A Narrow Lane and Other Stories

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Narrow Lane and Other Stories" by Saadia Azim.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Narrow Lane and Other Stories was written by a prolific writer, Saadia Azim. The book is a collection of short stories based on real-life experiences. The author elucidated the plight of the "Third Class Citizen," especially those residing in Africa and Asia. It was a vivid description of how the rich enrich themselves with the resources allocated to all.

In “A Narrow Lane,” Pygmy and her family evacuated their house due to an imminent danger. Terrorism and insecurity are the order of the day in areas where peasants cohabit. The injustice meted out on the weaker class was portrayed in “The Eye-Witness." Insha’s father, along with other shantymen, was accused of being the culprit despite the police knowing what transpired. In “The Refugee Colony," it is not a surprise that even the government has a hand in suppressing the poor. Is there hope for the poor and oppressed? Or will the rich keep getting richer?

Life is not a bed of roses; it will be erroneous to believe that everyone is equal. That is a fallacy most people take solace in. In reality, all fingers are not equal. One positive aspect of the book is the poignant and succinct use of the English language. I acquired some new words. The element of suspense was very prominent in the book. It wasn't easy for me to stop reading until I reached the end. My heart was always on edge till I found out what happened next. I appreciate the author for providing the denotation of unfamiliar words, as it will aid the reader's comprehension of the message.

One issue I considered negative is the cliffhanger. The author left much to the reader’s imagination. I kept guessing how and why some things happened the way they did. Apart from this aspect, nothing else hindered me from enjoying the book. The unfairness of life, the inevitability of death, the inequality of class, and the surging of emotions were all demonstrated in the lines of these stories.

The book seemed edited professionally, as I found some errors. These errors did not also hinder me from enjoying the book. The book was insightful and informative. Consequently, I rate it four out of four stars. I recommend this book to readers who will love to know more about the plight of the lower class. It is not suitable for people who love “happily ever after stories.”

A Narrow Lane and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Impoverishing the poor is the mission of many governments. It is not always good to read happy endings, learning about other realities is necessary. Excellent review.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Truly said. Life is not always the ideal image one builts in his imagination. It is always wise to keep in check with the struggles and realities of life. Thanks for such a well written review! :)
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”