Review of Before You Fast

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of Before You Fast

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before You Fast" by Anita Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you have ever fasted without result or want to take your prayer and fasting to the next level but don’t know how to go about it, Before You Fast is a must-read. This book is a guide on how to condition your mind and body before fasting. To make its points clearer to the readers, the book makes use of references from the Bible, including the story of Esther and the story of the battle between the Israelites and the Benjamites. Rather than just assume or state what she feels, the author carried out her research and drew from the abundant knowledge of the scriptures. With her experience as a preacher, she summarized what she learned about fasting into one small book, so everyone can read and understand it.

The author, Anita Bell, has taken an approach that I love and appreciate, and I believe other readers will too. She writes like she is having a dialogue with the readers and even asks questions that keep the readers engaged like they are in an actual conversation with another person. For example, in the first chapter, after the author talked about dishonorable and honorable fasting, she asks the reader to consider the state of their heart before their fast. I found her question stirring because I had never thought to do so before. The author also writes straightforwardly with simple, easy-to-read words. Despite having just 31 pages and 14 chapters, the book feels complete and coherent, with references from the Bible to back each point up.

I also like how the author made use of scriptures from both the Old and New Testament rather than just sticking to one testament because it allows readers to see how much the author is in line with the Bible and how cohesive and consistent her book is in relation with the whole Bible rather than just one testament; this also added to how interesting and vibrant the book was because each reference is a Bible story with a lesson to learn. After reading this book, I was very satisfied with how well put together it was.

While I enjoyed reading Before You Fast, I felt like other readers might find it too brief or may have preferred a more in-depth explanation, but I have no issues with the way it is. I hated nothing about this book and believe that the author put a lot of work into making it as concise as possible, which is perfect for readers like me with short attention.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the absence of error and its approach to educating its readers through a brief, straightforward, and easy-to-understand writing style. I found no errors, so I think the editors did an exceptional job. I would recommend this book to adults over the age of 18 who are learning to fast and would love to get better results from fasting and praying. Children older than 7 years and teenagers who are learning to fast can also read this book to learn a thing or two about fasting.

Before You Fast
View: on Bookshelves
Andriette v
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriette-v.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Andriette v »

Thanks for the review! A very interesting topic. My father used to fast every week and we had to learn how to accommodate him during transition. Ons of my friend didn’t break his fast the right way and gained extreme weight. So sad!
Looking forward to reading it!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Never knew there was som much thought and process behind fasting. Glad to learn something new through this book. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Great review! It really gives an insight on the conjectures of fasting.
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

When I saw the cover, I thought first of just fasting, as some people do, combining a specific diet. Thank you for your beautiful review. I also found interesting about the writing style of the author.
Cho Lee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cho Lee »

Great I never knew these thought behind fasting
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Am not really a person that fast because i can't do without food. Thanks for the insightful review.
Manalee Ghadi
Currently Reading: The Promise
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manalee-ghadi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Manalee Ghadi »

Being an Asian I am aware of the thoughts that go behind fasting. Would definitely want to read this to know more. Good review!
kene 123 _+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kene 123 _+ »

Most believers fast without the use of scriptures from the bible...I am really happy that the author have highlighted on the importantance and the use of scriptures while fasting..this is an eye opener.
Last edited by kene 123 _+ on 01 Jul 2021, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

Looks like a must read given the insightful review and I also happen to enjoy conversational-type of writing. Thank you for the honest review
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Great Review. I personally feel , not excluding myself, that people don't know a lot about fasting or how to go about it properly or the do it for the right reason. I think this book would really help understand this concept and enlighten people on how to fast appropriate to their health and body orientation.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Interesting topic. It looks this is an easy-to-read book. Thank you for the recommendation.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

Being a Muslim, who is often fasting along with being a convent student and having spent most of my time among Christians, i can very well understand what the author is trying to say. I would love to read this book. Thanks for your review
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The fact that the author did a lot of research for this book makes it interesting enough. Thank you for this interesting review!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This book is clearly going to be helpful for people who want to embark on a religious fast, especially Christians. I certainly wouldn’t mind reading this book. Well done on the insightful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”