Review of Life of a Don

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of Life of a Don

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of a Don" by John Martin Ramsay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is a stage, and everyone has to accept each phase as it approaches. As humans, we have dreams and aspirations, but sometimes we are faced with hurdles as we journey into life. Life of a Don by John Martin Ramsay is a fictional book that tells the life story of Don.

Don Hunter meets Jan Beck at a country dance party in Fillet College. Don asked for permission to dance with her, and she yielded. That gesture marked the beginning of their life journey together. They got married after they graduated from college. And after their wedding, Harry Beck, Jan's father, invites the couple to reside in Rochester to be close to his only child. Jan started working as an editor in her father's publishing company while Don landed a job as a manager of a classy restaurant. The new couple decides not to make babies for the first five years so as to attain a certain level of financial security. Luckily, Dan gets a better-paid job offer to lead Heritage Dancers. At this stage, they are ready to start procreating. But, unfortunately, there is a threat to their plans of having babies.

I was so overwhelmed and blown away by the storyline that I lacked words to express how the reading made me feel. The author's narration of events was so engaging, and it kept me desiring for more. I felt every emotion that the characters experienced. I even got so emotional that at some points, I laughed, cried, and felt pained too.

What I like most about the book is the relationship that Don and Jan shared. They complimented themselves perfectly that they can't live without each other. Their unity and love are worthy of emulation, and they remained strong for each other even in the face of challenges. This story will strengthen readers who find themselves in difficult life situations.

The author developed unique characters, and each of them portrayed lifelike qualities. Jan's character depicts most women's desire to become mothers and the extent they can go to achieve that. Don is also another lovable character, and I like that he's diligent with his work. Readers will find it very easy to relate to these lovely characters. Another aspect of the book I appreciate is the author's writing style. It is straightforward, simple, and easy to follow, making my reading fun and without any hitches.

Interestingly, the author is a good storyteller, and he developed a compelling and believable storyline that is captivating as well. I was mesmerized by the fascinating story of Don Hunter and Jan Beck. I also liked that John Martin made his narrations straightforward and didn't dwell on unnecessary dialogue. The concluding part of the book was also unique and with a twist, which made it satisfying though I couldn't hold back my tears.

Furthermore, there is nothing to dislike about this title. It's a fascinating read that all readers will enjoy. Considering what I learned and how I connected with the characters and storyline, I am pleased to give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited but has a few typos. And I happily recommend it to open-minded readers who enjoy fictional books about family ties and the vicissitudes of life.

Life of a Don
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Seems like a good read with twists. Sadly, I don't find them much interesting. However, through your review I can see why people would enjoy reading it!
Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

I love this review and I WANT this book!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Your review made me very interested in the book, especially the emotions that stirred in you. In my opinion that is the greatest compliment any author should aim for. Thank you for your recommendation and this amazing job!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Sounds like a great book to read. Your review is very detailed and compelling too!
Tinagoldfish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Tinagoldfish »

I do like this book its kinda interesting but it's obviously sad for don to makes a family that he can't happen that's a good review you make there
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Life is a stage, and everyone has to accept each phase as it approaches." - This sentence reminds of lyrics to a song that says: nobody told me the road would be easy. Life is unpredictable, we just need to do the best we can with what we have. I really hope they were able to have babies of their own! Now I'm so curious to learn of this couple's journey.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds like an amazing story. Don and Jan make a nice couple, they are understanding and patient. Thank you for a great review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I wonder what threat the couple has of making babies after getting the dream job. I look forward to finding out. Thanks for the review.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wowww this couple makes love so real, easy, sweet a d strong, what a wonderful review, I look forward to reading this book.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love that the characters are well developed and genuine :) I would love to read this one. Thank you for a great review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I like it that the characters are well developed and the story seems engaging. Thank you!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the author has perfectly designed and developed the main characters. Thanks for the good review.
Clare Jose
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

On reading the summary part of the review, I wasn't really interested. But on further reading, I reading I realised that this could be something that I would enjoy. The book seems to have an interesting story with lovely characters.
Thank you for your wonderful review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Good review. Seems like a good book too. Would to read it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”