Review of The Importance of Now

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review of The Importance of Now

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Importance of Now" by Paul Schumacher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“To err is human, to forgive is divine” (Alexander Pope.) Shawn had no trouble admitting his humanity and his many failings. His difficulty came with the divine part of the deal. How could he forgive the man who had killed his father? The Importance of Now, an other-fiction novel by Paul Schumacher, explored the themes of family, forgiveness, and faith.

Shawn felt the burden of his father’s death. He was only fourteen when it happened, and it impacted his life and future. Overwhelmed by rage, Shawn took out his anger on an innocent bystander. After serving his time in a boys’ home, he returned home to remake his life. Pastor Mike invited him to mentor a group of teenage boys. Uncertain of his abilities to counsel the youths, he opened up about his past and the consequences of letting resentment grow in his heart. His new beginning also opened the door to a new love.

Aidan is Shawn's son. Aidan didn’t know much about his father. He discovered a box of letters in the attic. Against his mother’s wishes, he began reading the correspondence and the police reports that had collected dust over the years. Would the truth about his father soothe the ache in his heart or sharpen the pain of his absence?

The chapters alternated between Aidan in the present reading the letters and Shawn’s life in the past. Shawn’s character developed as the author revealed the events that shaped his attitude and actions. Aidan matured as he learned more about his father and why his mother hid these facts from him. I enjoyed this manner of piecing together the story from the dual perspective of father and son. Aidan learned about his father’s mistakes and how Pastor Mike had guided his thoughts and attitudes toward confronting his anger.

Pastor Mike initiated the mentoring sessions with biblical messages. The speeches that impacted Shawn the most were the talks based on the biblical commandments. Readers will encounter numerous Bible passages and the advantages of applying these principles to their life. Readers familiar with the biblical commandments and Scriptures will find it easy to relate to Pastor Mike’s focus.

I found very little to dislike about this book. My only suggestion would be to include a small family tree to avoid confusion as the story shifts between Shawn and Aidan’s telling of the narrative. The book has neither profanity nor sexual content. I only came across a few grammar errors, leading me to conclude that the book has been professionally edited.

I rate The Importance of Now four out of four stars. The author captivates readers with a story of how anger imprisons us when it is not dealt with quickly. This wholesome story and satisfying ending will intrigue adults who enjoy novels about family and faith. Teen readers can relate to the characters in the youth group. "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that prisoner was you" (Lewis B. Smedes, p. 8)

The Importance of Now
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

This seems like an interesting storyline. I like how the author gives perspective to both Shawn and his son. I do agree that anger can seize us when not dealt with quickly. It is so important to try to forgive someone to set yourself free. Great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Lauren16 wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 13:38 This seems like an interesting storyline. I like how the author gives perspective to both Shawn and his son. I do agree that anger can seize us when not dealt with quickly. It is so important to try to forgive someone to set yourself free. Great review!
Agree here. It is more important to forgive than to deal with the ranger. Thanks for the nice review!
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

We often fail to realize that anger and resentment only harm ourselves, to let go is actually doing us a favour. Sounds like an interesting read!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Forgiving someone, especially when you don't have all the insight knowledge about that situation or person, is very subjective and personal. Your review made quite curious about the context of the crime. Thank you for this interesting review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Lauren16 wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 13:38 This seems like an interesting storyline. I like how the author gives perspective to both Shawn and his son. I do agree that anger can seize us when not dealt with quickly. It is so important to try to forgive someone to set yourself free. Great review!
I loved the book's theme. Forgiveness is something that many people struggle with without realizing who they are really hurting. Thanks so much for stopping by!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Thank you for the review. I will read this book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

k_madhu_jha wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 08:05 Thank you for the review. I will read this book.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy this book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Benaron wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 19:00 We often fail to realize that anger and resentment only harm ourselves, to let go is actually doing us a favour. Sounds like an interesting read!
Yes. This is true. Alas, it is a very hard lesson to learn. Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:18 Forgiving someone, especially when you don't have all the insight knowledge about that situation or person, is very subjective and personal. Your review made quite curious about the context of the crime. Thank you for this interesting review!
This is part of the internal debate one goes through when struggling with forgiveness! Thanks so much for sharing your reflections about this review. I hope you will enjoy the book.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Shawn having to deal with his father's death. This sounds like a very emotional coming of age story.

Thank you for an excellent summary and review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 09:01 I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Shawn having to deal with his father's death. This sounds like a very emotional coming of age story.

Thank you for an excellent summary and review.
:tiphat:
The author has written a moving story that teaches an important lesson about forgiveness. Thanks for your thoughtful comments.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I enjoyed reading your review. The summary portion was also well done. I would like to read this book. Well done.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

ROSEYANN wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 13:27 I enjoyed reading your review. The summary portion was also well done. I would like to read this book. Well done.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your kind and motivating words! I hope you will enjoy the book, too!
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I love the last quote in the review! The hardest thing we ever do is forgive ourselves. This sounds like an emotional read as Shawn and Aidan both tell their own stories. I will have to check this one out for sure! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”