Review of Beyond the Wooden Gate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Beyond the Wooden Gate

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond the Wooden Gate" by Patricia Wastler Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond the Wooden Gate by Patricia Wastler Lewis is a fiction novel. The 41-chapter book portrays the themes of God's love, family, adventure, loss, and redemption.

Celeste Terra King is a Christian and an elderly woman, but nothing in her life had prepared her for the sudden death of her mother. Celeste blames God and questions His existence. Unknown to her, God had sent His angel on a mission to shield her from Satan's onslaught against her soul. Also, to remind her of His love and invoke in her a deep remembrance of her childhood. Sitting in her mother's house, Celeste recalls a story about an elf named Pen'elfo'pea, which her mother had shared with her while growing up. Pen'elfo'pea was young but discontented with her life as it was. She longed for adventure and despised her parent's constant corrections. Then she has a life-changing encounter with faeries she never believed existed. Both Celeste and Pen'elfo'pea's journeys back to God are intriguing. Read up on the book to know more about their unique stories.

I like the author's writing style; she expressed herself in clear and concise terms. She included images though they were a bit blurry. Each scene and character were well described. She almost made me believe in faeries.

I liked Pen'elfo'pea; she brightened up the novel. I did not want her story to end. She represents several youths and their longings for the extraordinary. A stage where each instruction feels like a burden, and no one seems to understand you. This struggle is real, and I believe Pen'elfo'pea's journey to redemption will inspire many. I love the descriptions of the garden where Pen'elfo'pea met with the faeries. It was vivid, brilliant, and beautiful. I also love how the author portrayed the relationship between Celeste and her mother. Her approach in training Celeste the way of God from childhood was inspiring. I appreciate how the author went beyond the story and wrote an enlightening piece about God and Christianity. It was deeply rooted in biblical principles, and her love for Christ could be seen on each page. Another highlight for me was how she described angels and their missions to human beings. It got me thinking about how they might be present with me through challenging times. I appreciate that.

There is nothing I dislike about the book. It was fairly long, but the author was able to carry her readers along through it. The book was multidimensional, and I enjoyed the different aspects of it. The book answers questions that a fainting soul could be forced to ask. It also exposes how Satan uses moments of weakness and our basic desires to launch attacks on the human soul. The book was well edited, as I found a few errors in it. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Finally, I recommend the book to people dealing with the loss of a dear one. Also, to people with questions in their hearts about God and His love, they can learn from it.

Beyond the Wooden Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This sounds like quite a delightful and motivational book. I like the blend of the elements of the supernatural and 'magical' world with characters from the real world. I think I'll like this book.
Lovely review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book seems uplifting, especially when someone is going through a crisis like losing a loved one. It can be difficult. Thanks for the review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems a good book. Thank you for this review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”