Review of Heroes by Design

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Heroes by Design

Post by Alice Ngugi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heroes by Design" by D.A. Irsik.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The loss of a loved one can leave one not only devastated, but completely out of touch with reality. The process of grief is different for everyone. While others rely on the support of friends and family members, some completely shut out everyone and shut themselves into a cocoon of loneliness and self-destruction. When Emily experienced the death of her mother, she took the latter as her resolution to the pain it caused her. However, her friends Zack and Sela would not give up on their friend who had turned Gothic and wanted nothing to do with God. All they can do is pray that God intervenes in His own way to pull Email out of the mud pit she had fallen into.

Heroes by Design by D.A Irsik is a Christian based novel about the plight of three teenagers who love God. It is an immaculate representation of the kinds of experiences that we go through that shape us into who we are. Mara, the bully ,is like that because of the pain she had experienced. Emily on the other hand fails to understand how God can love her and then allow her mother to die. Sela represents the kind of christians who don't like to see others in pain, and sometimes over steps trying to help. Zach is the warm christian friend who does not pry too much, but his presence and acknowledgement leaves one feel warm and comfortable being around him.

What I loved most about this book is its ease to read. It also relates to very real issues that we face in our day-to-day life. The book also does represent what guardian angels are, and how we may have interacted with them unknowingly. It gives the comfort that God truly cares enough to help us with what we are going through.

What I did not like about this book was its shallow characters. I felt that they needed more description. It did not evoke me emotionally as I had hoped. Instead of sympathizing with Emily, it made me feel that her reaction was out of a teenage fit. It was random and sudden. I wish the author took time to describe the pain she felt vividly to when she finally turned Gothic. The sudden change made it unrealistic to me. It also lacked the thrill. I just couldn't emotionally connect to the characters.

I recommend this book to young christians who would like to know how love can make a difference in people's lives. It also teaches patience with people going through tough times and allowing them time to find who they are.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This is because based on the cover, I had hoped to experience an emotional journey with the Heroes of Faith.

The book also has a number of errors that may have affected the flow of the story. Otherwise, it has a great premise and would have been a great book. But for now, it's an average job done.

Heroes by Design
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure if I want to read this or not. On one hand, I do wish to see how Emily ends up handling her pain, but shallow characters put me off. Thanks for the review.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Amy Luman wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 21:37 I’m not sure if I want to read this or not. On one hand, I do wish to see how Emily ends up handling her pain, but shallow characters put me off. Thanks for the review.
Pleasure. Thanks for the comment

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”