Review of Roadbuilders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Roadbuilders

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roadbuilders" by E I Lenart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A stunt goes wrong, resulting in Dale Caraway being paralyzed from the waist down. The accident leads him back to his parents' home as he ponders a lifetime in a wheelchair. He dislikes any offer of help from anyone. His present condition makes him a bitter man; he does not want anything which reminds him of his job as a stuntman. He accepts the bleak future ahead.

Jake Wilder is a poet, but to augment his needs he settles to ghost-writing. He yearns to have a book under his name. His present client unexpectedly leads him to a friend he has not seen in years. He is shocked to learn that his high school friend has become disabled. How will Dale react if he suddenly shows at his doorstep?

Dale and Jake: two unlikely friends with basically nothing in common but a dream. What happens when they meet again after such a long time? Roadbuilders by E I Lenart presents two men's road to a new beginning as they strive to achieve their dreams, despite the odds continually pushing them back.

The author's narrative was very engaging; it was effortless visualizing Jake as he looked around a huge library; I could feel his every emotion as things did not go his way. I could empathize with Dale's frustrations and bitterness; some emotions were relatable, and they brought back memories. I enjoyed the conversations between Jake and Dale; they were natural and the author's narrative felt like I was there in their midst witnessing their exchanges. Furthermore, the characters were relatable. They could be your friend, sibling, or parent. Reading the novel was akin to watching a movie. I could imagine Dale and his newfound friends as they practice swimming.

Roadbuilders was uplifting. It communicated many positive values and perspectives. It was more than about friendship. One particular value that resonated so strongly in this story was determination. It tackled love on varying levels and in many forms. The author presented common issues, but the author made the story special and heart-warming; I lost some tears a few times as I read on. There was also dry humor in some parts, and they made me laugh. The other characters were not just accessories; each had a distinct personality and a significant role to play in the lives of the main characters. Each seemed to serve as a catharsis to Jake or Dale, and because of this, the story flowed beautifully. How Lenart was able to connect all the characters like puzzle pieces coming together to form one whole beautiful picture was utterly amazing. Furthermore, the book was informative about topics like paralysis and alternative healing.

On the downside, there were minimal grammatical errors, mostly on the use of punctuation marks. I observed some words that should be capitalized and a few vague statements.

Roadbuilders by E I Lenart is not just an engaging book; it is a beautiful novel. The minimal grammatical errors led me to believe the book was professionally proofread, affording me a smooth reading experience. Thus, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

If you are into stories about self-love and friendship, this is spot on. But if you are into a more exciting genre like action or suspense, look elsewhere.

Roadbuilders
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I, myself, am what some would call disabled. I can truly relate to Dale. Thanks for a great review.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

This is relatable as well as realistic story to people who go through similar situations as well as who are disabled. I really liked idea behind this book of fulfilling one's dream despite the odds. A great book. Thanks for the review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a lovely book. I was mesmerized by the cover—I was so taken by the butterflies that I didn’t even notice Dale (I’m assuming) at first. It looks like he is observing their new form, perhaps preparing for his transformation as well. :butterfly:
Thank you for your engaging review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

The book sounds very inspiring and uplifting. I can imagine what Dale goes through after being paralyzed especially since he had led a very active life. Thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”