Review of Journey of a JuBu

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Review of Journey of a JuBu

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journey of a JuBu" by Blaine Langberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is about Jacob Silverstein, a Harvard-trained orthodontist who has a rekindled interest in becoming an author. He is writing a book about Adam Freeman, a Jewish, Yale-trained pediatric dentist who makes enough money from his practice but is not happy because of the stress at work, his attitude towards his wife, and his eye twitch. Adam is in search of inner peace, and this search for inner peace sends him on a spiritual journey. Along the way, the four horsemen and his wife give him all the encouragement and support that he needs to follow his newfound path to the end. But the literary agent, Maggie, wants Jacob to kill off Adam and write a memoir instead. Jacob now has to decide if he will do as Maggie says and write a memoir or if he will stick to telling the story of Adam Freeman.

The most amazing thing about this book is that it is about a man (Jacob) who is writing a book about another man (Adam). The storyline felt fresh, and the author managed to keep things simple. The plot isn’t confusing because you always know when you are reading about Adam Freeman’s life and when you are back to reading about Jacob Silverstein. The characters are vibrant, and you get to know them better as you read the book. A good example is how Leah cautions Jacob whenever he’s late for work because he is still writing or editing his manuscript, but he’d just call the office to tell them he’d be late. Their behaviors were always dynamic yet consistent.

Jacob was also very passionate about the hero of his book (Adam Freeman), and that passion rubbed off on me because I eventually began to root for Adam to always do the right thing. I liked the support Jacob and Adam got from their wives, Leah and Minnie. However, I was amazed by Minnie’s patience, love, and support for Adam, even though he was an emotional mess and often behaved childishly. Minnie always maintained her composure, and a good example was when Adam snatched a cookie from his daughter’s hand, which made her sad, but Minnie didn’t throw a tantrum because of her husband’s childish behavior.

Another interesting thing about this book is the similarity between Adam Freeman, Jacob Silverstein, and the author, Blaine Langberg. For example, Blaine Langberg is also a Harvard-trained orthodontist, just like Jacob Silverstein, and I believe that both Jacob and Adam have more in common with the author of the book. I enjoyed reading this book, but I would have loved better descriptions of the characters. However, this didn’t affect my reading experience enough to make me knock out any stars because the descriptions are not bad in any way. I did not dislike anything about this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because everything, from the plot to the characters and the author’s writing style, was spot on. I didn’t find any errors, indicating that the editors did an exceptional job. I would recommend Journey of a JuBu to readers who are interested in the kind of drama that revolves around family and real-life challenges people encounter daily. Jacob’s story may be an inspiration to readers who share the same passion for writing.

Journey of a JuBu
View: on Bookshelves
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

I love reading about other religious. The review also has classified it well. I need to read this book.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

It is interesting, the concept of a story in a story. I’d love to find out for myself if Jacob kills off Adam or not. But I have a feeling there is more to uncover in this book. Well done on the insightful review.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I like books about roads to self discovery and I believe this books contains the highs and lows of it.
This review is very interesting, can't wait to read the book
Great job!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”