Review of Hood Girl, Good Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Hood Girl, Good Girl

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hood Girl, Good Girl" by Cynthia Marcano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tiana has a good life living with her younger brother, mother, and stepfather in a lovely house in a nice neighborhood, and they go on vacation every year. Both of her parents are born-again Christians. Thirteen-year-old Bianca lives with her white mom and black dad until one day, in an attempt to get away from her overprotective mother, she runs into the street in front of a car driven by a drunk driver. The car hits and kills her mother after she pushes Bianca out of the way. Bianca blames herself and feels guilty for the pain her dad feels. Justin grew up in the hood. A stranger with a bleeding hand holding a switchblade gets on the elevator with him and his dad, Michael Earl Saunders. His dad follows the stranger off the elevator and tells Justin to go to a friend's apartment and call the police. His father is stabbed trying to prevent a murder and dies later at the hospital. How are these three characters connected? Can someone from the hood be good? Read Hood Girl, Good Girl by Cynthia Marcano & Indian Spice to find out.

This fictional book has many positive aspects. The authors have devoted each chapter to a specific character which is written from that character's perspective. Each of the characters in this book is fully developed and could be someone you know. I could feel their emotions of joy, pain, anger, jealousy, betrayal, and fear. This book contains many lessons that people should heed to make the world a better place for us to live in. Think of a world where everyone believed "a man's word is his honor and his integrity," or "being strategic was better than being impulsive." People should not be ashamed of their feelings, as long as they do not control them, and understand that others are affected by their decisions.

There are a few negative aspects of this book. One of these is that it contains slang that some readers may not be familiar with. I had to look up some of the words in the Urban Dictionary to understand what was being said between the characters. However, the slang is appropriate for the story being told. There is also a lot of racism and stereotyping in this book. Some of the events in this book made me want to cry about the injustice that was portrayed.

I believe a professional editor has edited this fast-paced well-written book as it has less than ten errors. This enjoyable book deserves 4 out of 4 stars. There is no justification for giving this book fewer stars.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy romance novels. The book is not appropriate for younger readers because of the non-borderline profanity and sexual content. I must caution sensitive readers that although the sexual content is not explicitly described, some of it involves child molestation, and some gory scenes of violence may be upsetting.

Hood Girl, Good Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

A very insightful review. I hope reading the novel is equally good. Whatever little I read, I would say the author has done commendable job in portraying each character and also their perspective. The story itself unfolds in a very compendious way. Good Job!
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

A amazing review. It shows a different perspective of seeing life through two different girls. The girls has their own world. I believe it would be a good read.
Dani Sam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dani Sam »

An interesting preview , I hope reading the whole novel would be more interesting. This would actually be a novel for teaching and keeping your boredom out.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I love the title of this book. Lol. But then, your review is a perfect one. Well done.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by MoeBrown »

I got a sense of how emotional this book might make the reader from your review. It always breaks my heart to read stories like these knowing that this could very well be someone's everyday life. The review was great and I would definitely read.
Morel HOUNDETON
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Morel HOUNDETON »

I got a sense of how emotional this book might make the reader from your review. It always breaks my heart to read stories like these knowing that this could very well be someone's everyday life. The review was great and I would definitely read.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

This is a well written review. The review makes the book seem very promising. This review reminds me of a book I read on this site not too long ago. I also plan on reading this book. According to the review, this book covers a topic that could happen to regular people and that makes me feel like it would be emotion filled.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think this book is for me as social injustice of any kind upsets me. I have a hard time envisioning why it has to happen. Good review, though.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Looks like a book that is written on a sad note. I guess I will pass. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”