Review of Critter's Choice'

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Critter's Choice'

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Critter's Choice'" by Cherrie Adams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Critter's Choice by Cherrie Adams takes the reader on a journey to a world called Ørtus, where everything begins. It is "the beginning for all and the return for a chosen few." The Guardian of Ørtus is Materna, the Mother Eternal. They call those who live on Ørtus Evos. When ready, they are assigned destinations throughout the Universe where they go to fulfill a life's mission. Once fulfilled, some return to Ørtus, and some do not.

Due to a mishap caused by a sky ball game that leaves the Record Keeper disoriented and his record book torn and ink splattered, he sends one Evo to Earth by mistake without a designated life's mission and no instructions of when, or if, he would return to Ørtus. The Evo arrived on Earth as a newborn baby to a loving family. He was named Christopher; however, he got the nickname Critter from his two-year-old brother, who couldn't pronounce his name. Life on Earth was good for Critter for a while, but all too soon, his path takes an unexpected turn. To learn what happens to Critter, you will need to read the book.

Cherrie Adams's talent for writing shines through in this story. The book is in the other fiction genre, but the first few chapters read more like fantasy. The well-developed characters are delightful. This is a short read at only 75 pages and is written in two parts. Part one is about life on Ørtus, and part two is about Critter's life on Earth. I admire the author's creative writing style. For example: "In a Universe above the above, beyond the beyond and further than the furthest knowing, resides a heavenly body that holds the beginning of all Life...Beyond this is where the colours of the universe end, and the colours of Eternity bestow their gentle light."

One of the most valuable themes in the book is unconditional love. It is present in every relationship in the story. Many readers like myself may also find a subtle underlying religious theme. The author's imagination in creating the world of Ørtus is outstanding. Those are the things I liked most about this book, along with Cherrie Adams's descriptive writing. There are also illustrations, by Lucinda Gregory, throughout the book that I found to be an enhancement to the story.

The only thing that disappointed me about the story is there was not enough information about Critter's childhood on Earth. It was mostly about his young adult life. I would have enjoyed learning more about his childhood with his family. Also, there is one particularly harsh curse word. There were a couple of phrases I questioned, but I felt they were style choices as Critter's Earth base was Australia. Overall this is an exceptionally well-edited book.

For the exceptional editing and the author's imagination and creativity in writing this lovely book, I am happy to rate Critter's Choice 4 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal to anyone, but I would recommend it primarily to teens and young adults. Younger children would enjoy the story of Ørtus in part one, as well as the illustrations; however, for them, part two is too advanced;

Critter's Choice'
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

Although the story disappointed me by not enough information about the critters but the story was so interesting.i want to make followup by reading this book from the beginning so that I enjoy full aspect of the author.thank you
djoh_
Currently Reading: Broken Inn
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djoh.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by djoh_ »

Thank you for the very detailed and thorough review! This sounds like a unique and interesting story. I think I will add it to my TBR list.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your wonderful review. The concepts of Ørtus and Evos make the book sound like a fantasy one. I wonder if Christopher will just live his life as a human when he received neither instructions nor a designated mission.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Hmm... This sounds like a very unusual story that blends multiple genres together. The excerpt you included showcases the author's unique writing style, and I would be very interested to see the illustrations too.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Omark wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 03:56 Although the story disappointed me by not enough information about the critters but the story was so interesting.i want to make followup by reading this book from the beginning so that I enjoy full aspect of the author.thank you
That is really the only way one can understand this book! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

djoh_ wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 17:48 Thank you for the very detailed and thorough review! This sounds like a unique and interesting story. I think I will add it to my TBR list.
It is a unique story! Thanks for your comment!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sou Hi wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 00:00 Thanks for your wonderful review. The concepts of Ørtus and Evos make the book sound like a fantasy one. I wonder if Christopher will just live his life as a human when he received neither instructions nor a designated mission.
The first part of the book is definitely a fantasy! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 01:54 Hmm... This sounds like a very unusual story that blends multiple genres together. The excerpt you included showcases the author's unique writing style, and I would be very interested to see the illustrations too.

Thank you for an excellent review.
:tiphat:
I enjoyed the illustrations a lot. To me they enhanced the story! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the plot of the book is very well conceived and realized in only 75 pages. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”