Review of Failing Mr. Fisher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Failing Mr. Fisher

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Failing Mr. Fisher" by James Wintermote.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After accepting a teaching position in Loco, Nevada, Mr. Fisher is eager to begin the school year. With a military background under his belt, he is confident in his capability; however, overconfidence can backfire. This English literature teacher is in for a surprise.

James Wintermote’s Failing Mr. Fisher is a realistic fiction about the collective experiences of the staff of Manicomio High as seen through the eyes of Mr. Fisher. Using contemporary humor, the author intends to shed light on the American public school system.

This first-person narration follows Mr. Fisher for four years. The first year starts with high spirit but quickly turns into a disappointment over the students’ behavior. Many of his students are failing his class and losing the opportunity to play sports; however, Mr. Fisher is determined to lay down the law. His stress doesn’t dissipate the second year. Now, Mr. Fisher realizes that the parents are worse than their children—but he remains unflinching. So, who is at fault? Students never turn in their work, the parents don’t care, and the administration turns the other way.

Three positive aspects stood out in this book: realism, humor, and Mr. Fisher. The plot is so authentic that it was hard to separate fiction from reality—this isn’t a “Hollywood-teacher-saves-all” story. Each typecast of the staff and students are fairly represented and relatable. One of my favorites was the teacher who showed Disney videos to the tenth graders daily. In addition, the conflicts feel original, such as the lack of supplies and the teacher burnout.

Wintermote’s humor puts a lighter spin on the seriousness of the topic. Mr. Fisher's annoyances are often a cause for laughter. For instance, the characterization of the twelfth graders versus the freshmen class. Even the tension of Fisher’s first parent-teacher conference made me laugh.

Probably, the most important aspect of the book is the main character—Mr. Fisher. Not only is he well-constructed, but the major conflicts revolve around him. His strict grading and heavy-handedness paint him as the villain. Strangely, Mr. Fisher seems to be the symbolic expectations of society on the education system. It’s the reader’s decision whether he fails or passes as a teacher.

At times, Mr. Fisher uses unsavvy terms for students, such as “meathead” and “rat boy”; they were necessary and illustrated his mounting frustration. He isn't a likable guy, and his attitude towards his female colleagues can be condescending. I didn’t consider these as negative points, but some readers may be offended by them.

Failing Mr. Fisher sparks interest in the education system, and I couldn’t put it down. I cackled all the way through it. It easily deserves the rating of 4 out of 4 stars which I give it. I have no reason to rate it lower. This book does contain profanity and light sexual situations.

I highly recommend it to lovers of contemporary humor and realistic fiction. The drama isn’t theatrical like in the teacher-themed movies. If that's what you prefer, then this book may be too slow for you.

Failing Mr. Fisher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Thank you for your interesting and well-written review. The way you describe it, this would be a book that I enjoy as it is written in first-person and I enjoy well-rounded characters with ambiguous roles. Further, it doesn't seem like there are villains and heroes, like how teacher themed movies are portrayed, everyone is simply human.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Mr Fisher is quite an interesting character. I would love to know how he will deal with his current issue. Thanks for the lovely review.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

You make this book sound like exactly what I look for in a book. I like the realism but also fiction so there’s not a lot of need to suspend disbelief. I like stories that span some good amount of time while developing characters and their stories.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I laughed when you mentioned that "Mr. Fisher realizes that the parents are worse than their children". I worked in a school before, so I can relate to this sentiment. The humor definitely won me over! I'll definitely save this for my future reading. Thank you for your helpful review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. The battles between teachers and students, or teachers vs parents never end, regardless of countries and cultures. Looks like Mr. Fisher will have a hard time there, but I hope he will make it.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What a great story. Being involved in the educational system I can see where some of the humor comes in.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

The humour aspect of the book is enough for me to be interested. It doesn't hurt that this seems to be a realistic take on the American school system. Great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You had me at "contemporary humor" :). Thank you for this interesting review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Theana D wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 08:28 Thank you for your interesting and well-written review. The way you describe it, this would be a book that I enjoy as it is written in first-person and I enjoy well-rounded characters with ambiguous roles. Further, it doesn't seem like there are villains and heroes, like how teacher themed movies are portrayed, everyone is simply human.
You make a good point about the villains and heros; everyone is struggling in this book—just like in real life. Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 14:32
Theana D wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 08:28 Thank you for your interesting and well-written review. The way you describe it, this would be a book that I enjoy as it is written in first-person and I enjoy well-rounded characters with ambiguous roles. Further, it doesn't seem like there are villains and heroes, like how teacher themed movies are portrayed, everyone is simply human.
You make a good point about the villains and heros; everyone is struggling in this book—just like in real life. Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!
Yes, I suppose that makes it all the more relatable. It's a pleasure, I want to let reviewers know when they have done a good job.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:32 You had me at "contemporary humor" :). Thank you for this interesting review!
:D Glad to be of help! :D Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Naaya123 wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 21:25 The humour aspect of the book is enough for me to be interested. It doesn't hurt that this seems to be a realistic take on the American school system. Great review!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did. thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 09:00 What a great story. Being involved in the educational system I can see where some of the humor comes in.
If you're in education field, you'll probably laugh even more because it's so relatable. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 20:48 Thanks for your informative review. The battles between teachers and students, or teachers vs parents never end, regardless of countries and cultures. Looks like Mr. Fisher will have a hard time there, but I hope he will make it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's good that someone can find humor in these issues. I hope Mr. Fisher makes it too. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”