Review of Whole Lot of Hullabaloo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review of Whole Lot of Hullabaloo

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whole Lot of Hullabaloo" by Christopher Fried.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whole Lot of Hullabaloo by Christopher Fried mainly follows the narrative of two college students, Troy Thomas and Ian Mueller. They are in their sophomore year, dealing with school works, partying on the weekends, and pining for girls in their classes. One Halloween party changes everything when Ian makes a controversial costume choice. One student claims that it is a microaggression and that it warrants sanction from the school administrators. As things blow out of proportion, Troy and Ian soon find themselves amidst protesters, militants, and reporters, all clamoring for social justice. All of a sudden, Troy and Ian’s life aren’t so ordinary anymore.

I find it difficult to read this book at first. It was slow, as the conflict did not arrive until halfway through the story. However, it was at that point that I realized how the technique was just what the story needed. We take the time to get to know the characters and their backstories to better understand their actions and motivations later on. For example, we have Sam Castle, the president of the university. Earlier in the book, the narrative establishes that he is a man who values the school’s excellent reputation. What would he do after knowing that one of his students was involved in a controversy? How would his decision affect the life of the students involved?

I like the slow and steady pace of the story. I think it’s a reasonable choice to initially explore the characters before arriving at the main conflict. I also appreciate the book’s thought-provoking premise. It’s interesting how the narrative challenges political correctness in the twenty-first century. The author frames some of them as a little absurd, provoking the reader to determine which portrayal makes a point and which does not.

The author satirized many socio-political issues, which was the ultimate appeal of the book. But I like how satire and humor aren’t all there is in the story. There are discussions worth pondering over and passages one cannot simply forget. It explores issues of racial stereotypes and how it impacts people of color. It looks into performative activism and its implications. Further, it delves into racial apathy and how it does not absolves one from being discriminatory.

The book seemed professionally edited to me, as there were only a few typographical and spelling errors. They were almost unnoticeable, so I’m not going to deduct any stars for that. I disliked nothing. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I find this an entertaining and thought-provoking read. The satirical portrayal of socio-political issues was well done. People who are into humorous fiction might find this book worth their time. The book was rife with intellectual musings, so I would also recommend this book to readers who are looking for intellectually stimulating books.

Whole Lot of Hullabaloo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like this is not a book for superficial readers looking for action. However, it is worth it. Thank you for this compelling review!
Rimsha Falak
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rimsha-falak.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Rimsha Falak »

Honestly, after reading the title I thought that the book would be about children, but after reading your review I understand that the title may actually be ironical, to make the book seem light-hearted. It seems like it would be an interesting read. Thank you for the review!
Justine Ocsebio
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 08:35 It seems like this is not a book for superficial readers looking for action. However, it is worth it. Thank you for this compelling review!
I agree! Thanks for your feedback :tiphat:
Justine Ocsebio

Rimsha Falak wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 13:43 Honestly, after reading the title I thought that the book would be about children, but after reading your review I understand that the title may actually be ironical, to make the book seem light-hearted. It seems like it would be an interesting read. Thank you for the review!
The title is quite intriguing indeed. Thanks for your feedback!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I look forward to finding out more about Troy and Ian's escapades and how the story plays itself out. Thank you for your review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sometimes I can understand the slow pace of the storyline too even though it can be annoying to wait for more development. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Ibrahim Khalil 5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim Khalil 5 »

It was a good story of Troy and Ian
I also enjoyed the book
Thank you for your review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85780
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1335%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📚📖 of the day BOTD is fiction and a riveting tale with smooth narration and double lane memories and American timeless story Troy Thomas and his friends enjoying college life, hangout,party and admiring beautiful girls until one day a Halloween costume made by his friend lan put his life in danger to an extended Troy Thomas questioned their friendship..the storyline is so satirical Vonnegut situation turns into a comedic affirmation..I enjoyed this book and characters made it so lively it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author satirized many socio-political issues, which was the ultimate appeal of the book. But I like how satire and humor aren’t all there is in the story. There are discussions worth pondering over and passages one cannot simply forget. It explores issues of racial stereotypes and how it impacts people of color. It looks into performative activism and its implications. Further, it delves into racial apathy and how it does not absolves one from being discriminatory.
I have to say I didn't expect such meaningful social issues addressed. I pictured something entirely different from looking at the cover. But I'm glad I was wrong because it's important to talk about this.
Great review!
Moses Okwany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moses-okwany.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moses Okwany »

It's my pleasure
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

A Halloween costume turning into a controversy. Sounds like a lot of everyday stuff, an innocent joke for one is a painful insult for another. When does one need to be more respectful, when does the other need to lighten up or let go? Difficult questions and it's surely an interesting book to read and think about this.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

It seems the title doesn't do justice to the content of the book. I'd like to read how a Halloween costume caused so much problems for the young students.
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

Books that pick on social issues like racism and stereotypes are very good because they make the reader open their mind into what is happening in the society. This seems like a good book for people who like to read this mixed with fiction.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by how the author satirizes socio-political issues in this book. I also feel intrigued by the novel's premise (the "controversial" costume choice).
Congratulations to the author for BOTD!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”