Review of Whole Lot of Hullabaloo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faisal Kurfi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faisal-kurfi.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers: by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Review of Whole Lot of Hullabaloo

Post by Faisal Kurfi »

Halloween costume creating a controversy? It sounds like a proper novel for college students. This is a well-thought-out review, congratulations.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that talks about the story of how Troy and Ian who had been enjoying their school work and partying by the weekend, become someone found amid protesters, militants, and reporters. The characters were well developed and the slow and steady pace of the story makes it interesting. Thanks for the great review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The controversial costume that changes the protagonists' lives is interesting and makes me want to take a look at this book. Congrats on BOTD!
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Great idea of expressing serious issues with satirical comedy. Looking forward to reading this book. Congratulations on being listed as Book Of The Day.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

It's so unimaginable that the life of two college students, Troy and Ian, wouldn't be so ordinary again, simply because of a costume. I hope he'll be asked what motivated him to choose the costume before the final verdict is given. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

Who would have thought a Halloween costume could cause such havoc? Troy and Ian should be able to fix their mistake, I hope! protesters, combatants, and journalists? Yikes! Even though it seems like fun, I'm not a fan of satire. I appreciate you sharing!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Honestly, I don't think I will enjoy this type of book.none of the action in it doesn't seemed to impressed me.thanks for the honest review anyway.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

From the review of this book, it depicts how life could really switch up. Living the typical college life is quite interesting, and I can see that from Ian and Troy's activities from the first paragraph. I wonder how they handled the whole pressure. Congratulations on BOTD.
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

I am interested as to how the Halloween costume turned into "controversy". I am glad that the author explores the issues of racial stereotypes because that issue is affecting people of colour everywhere around the world. In South Africa, we recently had a racial issue in a swimming pool where children of colour were attacked because they wanted to swim . The suspects were charged and taken to court. But the families of these children are still traumatized. I hope that we can all come together as one and see each other as humans not as "humans of colour". Thanks for such an interesting review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm not a fan of stories with political themes, so I will have to skip this book. This year, I've witnessed how certain costumes sparked outrage in certain communities. It's something I'd rather not get involved with, and the fictionalized version of it may just stress me out. This book is best for readers who love satirical novels. Congratulations on the BOTD.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I wonder what kind of controversial costume Tory used? I hope the issue is rectified and their lives returned to them. Amazing review.
Nerd_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerd-chris.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Nerd_Chris »

It's interesting how a wonderful story changed for the two friends. I would love to know more about the book. I love the book's plot. Great review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

Hmm... Slow storylines. If I hadn't read this review of how fascinating this book is, I would have dropped this book if I were reading it because of it's slow pace. But seeing that there are some pending scenes like how Ian and Troy faced protesters, I'm eager to know what the result is. Congratulations on BOTD.
ithaga riene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by ithaga riene »

I honestly thought the book was going to be an animation story when I saw the title, but after reading the first page, I was immediately intrigued and eager to finish it. The campus life and the characters of Troy and Ian, who were excited to explore the party scene and meet girls at their school, caught my attention right away. Their desire to spend nights out ended up getting them into big trouble, especially during a Halloween party.
I appreciated the slow and steady pace of the story. I thought it was good choice to initially explore the characters before diving into the conflict. The book also had a thought-provoking premise that challenged political correctness in the 21st century. Some of the ideas presented in the book seemed a little absurd to me, which made me think about which ones were making a valid point and which ones weren't.
There were discussions worth pondering over and passages that I couldn't forget. The book explored issues of racial stereotypes and how they impact people of different races, as well as performative activism and its implications. It also delved into racial apathy and how it doesn't absolve someone from being discriminatory.
Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it to be an entertaining and thought-provoking read, and the satirical portrayal of socio-political issues was well done. If you're into humorous fiction or looking for intellectually stimulating books, I recommend giving this one a try.
Donald Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

High schoolers tend to make very bad life chances that come back to haunt them. I hope Troy is able to come out of this difficult situation unscathed. Thanks for the amazing review.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”