Review of Into Light and Shadow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Into Light and Shadow

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Into Light and Shadow" by Dave Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Into Light and Shadow by Dave Gordon is an inspiring novel about a man who drastically changed the course of his life. Steve Forrest was a high-powered attorney in Washington state. He was also a skilled mountaineer and aggressively pursued his goals. He set his sights on conquering Mt. Everest because that is the most challenging undertaking of any mountaineer. On the morning of the final leg of the climb, he realizes that his friend has left before him. He races at an unsafe pace to beat his friend to the top of the mountain. Things take a drastic turn when Steve attempts a shortcut to the top and tragedy strikes.

Steve’s near-death experience changes his life. He finds himself in a wheelchair unable to enjoy the mountains as he had before the accident. His goal-oriented life as an ambitious attorney is ripped out from under him. Previously, never had time for his wife and children, and now they don’t have time for him. The hand that reaches out to help him in his time of need belongs to Jack Sheehan, a Catholic priest who studied at a Zen-Christian monastery. He teaches Steve about meditation and counsels him throughout the book. Steve wants to change his life and takes Jack’s advice seriously. He incorporates major changes in his life as a result.

I found this book difficult to put down. The action on Mt. Everest was fast-paced and compelling. When Steve returned home, the novel focused on family and the complex relationships we all experience. Issues like divorce and custody are addressed in a realistic and sensitive manner. Steve’s relationships with each of his three children are unique. Steve responds differently to the unique personalities and ages of each child as they interact. The author did an excellent job of portraying these relationships in a relatable way. Readers can empathize with the characters.

What I enjoyed most about the book was the introduction of Buddhist principles and concepts. I have an interest in this area; however, I am not very familiar with the details of the principles. Jack explains complex topics to Steve in a manner that is easy for readers to understand. As Steve becomes more experienced with his practice in this area, readers learn more and more about the topic. I found this part of the book fascinating. There was nothing I disliked about the book.

I would highly recommend this book to readers with an interest in Buddhism and the benefits of meditation. I would also recommend it to readers who enjoy books about complex family relationships or inspiring stories about overcoming obstacles. There were less than ten errors in the book, so I believe it was professionally edited. I give Into Light and Shadow a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it is an inspiring story that deserves nothing less than a perfect score.

Into Light and Shadow
View: on Bookshelves
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

Buddhism for me has always been a topic to research about. This book seems to give an in-depth view of Buddhist principals. Thank you for your recommendation 🌻🌼
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Buddhism is Really not a topic I would love to read more about, thanks for the honest review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

i am interested in meditation however i don't believe in Buddhism, so this book will not be my cup of tea, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”