Review of Floating Paris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Floating Paris

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Floating Paris" by Adrian Mallinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Francis Goodwine gives up a secure and well-paying job to try painting in Paris, the decision seems ridiculous, laughable even. He had been painting previously but had stopped for almost two years. Coincidentally, his friend Antoine has quit his job and will be heading to Africa for some months. Francis will reside in his apartment while he is away. How does jumping into the unknown with both feet feel? Was it worth the risk? How soon would he make any valuable contacts?

Floating Paris, inspired by the title of Francis’ first show in Paris, chronicles his journey and work in a new city. Adrian Mallinson authored the 249-page fiction book. It comprises the friends Francis makes, his adventures, exhibitions, painting, and much more. There is no climax or single event to look forward to because every day is unique. Nonetheless, the book is gripping and, once you start, you cannot stop reading it.

Floating Paris is an enthralling combination of the skillful hands of an artist, the keen eye of an observer, the creativity of a fiction writer, and the knowledge of a researcher. To top it all, the emotions it elicits help give it a soul, which captivates and endears the reader to the book. Further, the first-person narration immerses the reader in the tale. At times, one feels as if they have been allowed to be the lead character’s shadow. The only difference is that this is a unique shadow, as it does not require light. You are present, observing Francis everywhere he goes and interacting with everyone he meets.

It was thrilling to follow the painting process right from the moment of inspiration. The brief, precise narration made the process sound simple. However, Francis’ anticipation of the final product, the joys of getting the desired result, and disappointment following a miss spoke volumes about the effort put in. He relentlessly pursues his passion, taking great delight in the contentment it brings, and does not give up in the face of uncertainty.

The anecdotes in the story were often humorous. In addition to the short stories, the book has many witty characters. Monsieur Bernard is that unique, unpredictable neighbor who lies he is not smoking and advises you not to. Is he trustworthy? Leo is the ‘drinker with painting problems’. Other well-developed characters include Mark, Nicolas, Tom, O’Doherty, Simon, and Juergen. Additionally, many chapter headings were so hilarious that I could not stop myself from laughing.

The book seems to have been professionally edited, as I discovered only three errors. I would have wished to see some paintings in the book, but their absence in no way affects its quality. In the end, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all lovers of art. Anyone interested in reading a creative account on life in Paris will enjoy poring over it. Fans of philosophy and linguistics might find it interesting as well. Personally, I cannot wait to read the sequel.

Floating Paris
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Relocating to a new place with no guarantees in place seems daunting. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I love reading stories about artists following their passion, fighting against the odds. Interesting review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I love the guts of leaving a good secured job for passion though I wonder how things turned out and ended. Nice review . Thank you
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Francis really had to sacrifice a high paying job for his passion. Might seem crazy in the eyes of others but to him it wasn't. I really admire him a lot for this.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This is not normally the kind of book I would choose to read, but your compelling review makes me want to check it out. It sounds like the author really knows what it's like to paint and travel. I loved your description of the reader becoming like the main character's shadow. Thank you for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
BumbleZee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bumblezee.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by BumbleZee »

I can identify with Francis!!! May be I will take a giant leap soon! Nicely written review 8)
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Paris is a place I always dreamed to go, I love arts and I think I find this book super interesting,beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”